Sculpture slated to return outside Adler Journalism Building this fall

A University of Iowa public-art piece that was damaged following a winter snowfall will soon make its return back home to Iowa City.

Iacto, the sculpture situated on the southeast side of the Adler Journalism Building, adjacent to the UI Main Library and the Becker Communication Studies Building, suffered damage in February, and UI officials have since coordinated repairs to reinstall it.

The sculpture was removed following the failure of an anchor mechanism that had rusted out and after it was determined that the anchor posts could not support proper placing.

In a Thursday email, UI spokesman Tom Moore said refurbishing and repair of the sculpture has been completed and construction of a new raised concrete base is scheduled for the second week in August.

Although a delivery date has yet to be set for the sculpture, Moore said the goal is to have it back in place by Aug. 26, when the fall semester begins.

Facilities Management has been working over the past several months with Conservation of Sculpture and Objects Studio Inc. of Chicago to evaluate the damage undertaken by the sculpture.

To date, Moore said repair and refurbishing of the piece has come at a cost of $11,800 to the UI, with the new base being constructed with a $5,000 price tag.

Iacto, sculpted in 2004, is the creation of American sculptor James Sanborn, according to UI Facilities Management.

The metallic cylinder sculpture is illuminated at night, casting shadows of the words and symbols onto the surrounding buildings. Iacto is derived from the Latin word “icatare,” meaning to cast or to throw.

Iacto is similar to Sanborn’s most famous sculpture, Kryptos, which is located at the CIA headquarters in Langley, Va.