Tovar hired for Student-Athlete Academic Services

Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta announced the hiring of Liz Tovar as associate athletics director for student-athlete academic services on Tuesday. 

Tovar joins the Iowa athletics staff after serving as associate athletics director, student-athlete academic support services, at Northern Illinois for the past two years.

“Liz is a great fit and addition to the Hawkeye family,” Barta said in a release. “She has a strong set of past experiences in academic services, but one of the factors that was so impressive was her passion for helping student-athletes and working with coaches. This came through in our interviews and was also a common theme when talking to people with whom she has worked over the years.

“As director of our academic student-services area, Liz will work closely with our senior leadership team in shaping the Athletics Department’s overall strategic plan for the very near future.”

Tovar earned three degrees from the University of Kansas, where she also held the position of associate director, academic and career counseling, student-athlete support services for four years (2005-09). 

Tovar held the position of athletic academic counselor, student-athlete support services at Ohio State University from 2009-11.

“I would like to thank Gary Barta and the search committee for the opportunity to join the Hawkeye family,” Tovar said in the same release. “I am excited to continue to serve in a capacity where I can directly make a difference in the lives of students and contribute to their overall development. 

“The University of Iowa has a long tradition of academic excellence, and I am confident we will continue to set high standards for our student-athletes. I look forward to meeting the Athletics Department staff, students, and members of the campus community. My husband and I are delighted about moving to Iowa City.”