Iowa earns CSCAA Scholar Awards

The Iowa men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams were recently recognized with the Team Scholar All-America Award by the College Swimming Coaches Association of America.

Both Iowa swimming and diving teams posted the second-best team grade-point averages in the Big Ten. The men’s team finished with a 3.32 team GPA —14th best nationally — and the women’s squad finished with a 3.44 team GPA to rank among the top-45 in the country.

The Team Scholar All-America award is presented to college and university swimming and diving teams that have achieved a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 of higher.

In addition to the team awards, five Iowa student-athletes were also recognized with Scholar All-America awards.

Senior Byron Butler was named to the Scholar All-America first team for having achieved a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher, for the semester or a cumulative average, and having qualified for and competed at the 2013 NCAA championships. Butler was an honorable mention All-American in the 200- and 400-medley relays, finishing 16th and 13th, respectively.

Juniors Dustin Rhoads, Manuel Belzer, and Karolina Wartlowicz and sophomore Heather Arseth were each tabbed as Scholar All-America honorable-mention selections for having a 3.5 GPA and posting NCAA “B” qualifying times.