Former Hawkeye to FINA Diving Finals

Former Hawkeye women’s diver Deidre Freeman began competition at the 15th FINA World Championships in the 1-meter springboard event Sunday in Barcelona, Spain, at the Piscina Municipal de Montjuic.

Freeman posted the fifth-best score in the preliminary round of the 1-meter springboard event, amassing 263 points. China’s Zi He finished the preliminary round with the event’s highest score, 287.70.

Freeman’s score in the preliminary round qualified her for the finals in the 1-meter springboard event, which will take place on Tuesday.

“I feel like I have a little more in me as far as my prelim goes,” Freeman said in a release. “I feel like I can do better, but I dove solid. I have a few things I can fix for the finals.”

The native of Grinnell will also compete in the 3-meter springboard event, whose preliminary round will begins on Friday. She will be one of 43 divers in the 3-meter event.

The former Hawkeye All-American qualified for the FINA World Championships after winning the 3-meter springboard and finishing second in the 1-meter springboard at the USA Diving World Championship Trials in May in Tallahassee, Fla. Freeman finished with 579 points to win the 3-meter and tallied 532.90 points to take second in the 1-meter.