Marble focuses on leading his senior season

A lot has changed in Iowa City since Devyn Marble first wore “Iowa” across his chest in Carver Hawkeye-Arena.

The school he represents is quickly transitioning into a basketball school. He led his team to the NIT championship game in Madison Square Garden last season. And he’s transformed from an inconsistent freshman into the team’s bona fide senior leader.

But one thing hasn’t — and won’t — change for the 6- 6 guard as he prepares to lead his team through his final Black and Gold season: being himself on the court.

“Just doing everything, getting everybody involved, scoring when I need to, playing defense, being a pest — just doing the things I do best,” Marble said. “Just be me. I don’t have to do anything more than I normally do and just be more of a vocal leader.”

Everything is exactly what Marble did Sunday in his Prime Time League matchup. He posted a triple double in the game, tallying 35 points, 10 assists, and 10 rebounds in his team’s 134-98 blowout win.

“That’s what we need him to do: go out there, be aggressive and continue to take shots,” Iowa teammate Mike Gesell said. “He’s one of the hardest workers on our team, and that’s why I love workouts with him: He’s always pushing you to be your best. He’s one of those guys that makes everyone around him better.”

Along with his participation in the World University Games tryouts in Colorado Springs, summer workouts with the coaching staff and the Prime Time League, Marble and his teammates have also put in extra work on the Carver-Hawkeye Arena practice courts this summer — sometimes as late as midnight or 1 a.m.

Marble and Clemmons sometimes take up to 1,000 shots during these nightly sessions. Other members of the team join in and improve on the individual and team aspects of their game.

“The thing I like about this group of guys is that we’re all self-motivated,” Marble said. “Guys get into the gym and do their own thing — you don’t have to get on guys about not going to the gym. As a team, we’re pretty self-motivated — we know what needs to be done.”

But it hasn’t been all fun and games for Marble. He went through a slump midway through his junior season after missing a game against Michigan State. During the slump, Marble endured a course of games where he scored under 10 points — including a goose egg in a heartbreaking loss at Minnesota.

But, slump or not, Marble’s still knew how to push his teammates to be at their best. His experience, along with his family name, allows — nay, demands — it.

“There’s times when he’s whispered in my ear [saying that] I’m better than what I’m playing,” guard Anthony Clemmons said.  “He’s seen me in action before, when I was at my best, he knows what I’m capable of doing, he knows what other people are capable of doing. He’ll tell you on the side if he doesn’t see the best out of you.”

But Marble knows he can still improve his game, despite all the confidence — flying back to Iowa City while teammate Aaron White later flew to Russia proved it. His confidence has increased after the trip, and now it’ll come down to bringing his on-court intensity to its maximum potential.

“It’s not going to come down to me needing to take more or fewer shots, pass the ball more, nothing like that — I’ll continue to do what I was doing as far as that,” Marble said. “Just increasing my intensity and energy on the court and getting the most out of it.”