Grant named to NFHCA Hall of Fame

Christine H.B. Grant, a former Iowa women’s athletic director, was selected to the National Field-Hockey Coaches Association Hall of Fame on Monday.

Grant joins Virginia head coach Michele Madison, a former Iowa assistant (1982-89), and Ursinus College head coach Laura Moliken in the Class of 2013.

The coaches’ association will welcome the Class of 2013 during its annual convention on Nov. 20-22, in Virginia Beach, Va.

Grant, seen by many as a pioneer in U.S. intercollegiate athletics, became the first women’s athletics director at Iowa in 1973. She helped coaches develop highly competitive teams at the national level and at the conference level, where Hawkeye teams won 27 Big Ten titles in Grant’s 27 years at the helm.

The native of Scotland earned national acclaim for her dedication to gender equity in athletics.

Grant has testified on Title IX and Gender Equity before several U.S. House of Representatives subcommittees and served as an expert witness in many Title IX lawsuits. She served as president of both the Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women and the National Association of Collegiate Women Athletics Administratiors.

Grant was given an honorary doctorate of humane letters by Luther College and was named one of the 100 Most Influential Sports Educators in America by the Institute of International Sport.

In 2006, Grant was inducted into the state of Iowa Women’s Hall of Fame, and two years later, she was inducted into the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics’ Hall of Fame.

In 2007, Grant received the NCAA President’s Gerald R. Ford Award, which honors an individual who has provided significant leadership as an advocate for college athletics on a continuous basis over the course of her or his career.

More recently, the ballroom in the new NCAA building addition in Indianapolis was named in Grant’s honor in June 2012.