3 Iowa gymnasts to compete in World University Games

Iowa gymnasts Javier Balboa, Brandon Field, and Cory Paterson will compete in the World University Games, July 7-16, in Kazan, Russia.

Balboa, a 2013 All-American for Iowa, will compete for Mexico. Field, a sophomore last year, will compete for New Zealand, and Paterson, an incoming freshman, will compete for Canada.

“Having these three athletes representing Iowa at the 2013 World University Games is a testament to the caliber of gymnastics that this program is now producing and attracting,” Iowa men’s gymnastics coach JD Reive said in a release. “Our competitive presence is just beginning to be seen, both on a national and international stage.”

Balboa earned his first All-American honors in 2013, placing sixth in the all-around and eighth on the still rings at the NCAA championships. A native of Monterrey, Mexico, he is Iowa’s first all-around All-American since 2005 and the first to earn All-American honors in more than one event since Michael Reavis in 2005. Balboa was also the 2013 Big Ten still-rings champion and a first-team All-Big Ten honoree.

Field, a native of Papakura, New Zealand, competed on floor and vault in eight meets in 2013. He placed 17th on the floor at the NCAA team finals, tallying a season-best 14.700.

Paterson, an Oakville, Ontario, native, is an eight-year Canadian National Team member and a three-time Canadian Age Group all-around champion. Paterson has won more than 250 medals in his nine-year gymnastics career.