North Liberty man faces drug and alcohol charges

A North Liberty man faces a number of charges after local law enforcement officers stopped him after observing a traffic violation.

According to an Iowa City police complaint Reid Overton, 22, was charged Tuesday with a first-offense OWI, controlled-substance violation, possession of a controlled substance, and possession of marijuana with the intent to deliver.

Iowa City police stopped a black Ford Taurus driven by Overton on the intersection of Governor and Burlington Streets on Tuesday for a traffic violation.

Upon contact with Overton, officers noticed he had bloodshot, watery eyes, and a strong odor of ingested alcohol.

Preliminary breath tests were offered, but Overton refused to accept them before being arrested for OWI.

Upon being transported to the Iowa City police station, he consented to a DataMaster test that showed a blood-alcohol content of 0.145.

Upon being arrested, officers towed the vehicle driven by Overton.

During an inventory search of the car, officers allegedly located less than 5 grams of methamphetamine inside individually wrapped packages, packing materials, and a digital scale in a backpack located in the trunk.

The drug Indicia was also reportedly located in the backpack, which Overton later identified as his own and knowingly having them. He also told officers that there may have been a small amount of marijuana inside the backpack as well.

First-offense OWI and possession of a controlled substance are serious misdemeanors, a controlled-substance violation is a Class-C felony, and possession of marijuana with the intent to deliver is a Class-D felony.