Nelson, Betulius miss Team USA cut

Hawkeye swimmers Mike Nelson and Grant Betulius completed part of their competition at the 2013 Phillips 66 National Championships in Indianapolis, Ind., on Thursday evening.

Nelson, a sophomore at Iowa, finished 13th in the men’s 50-meter breaststroke, touching the wall at 28.71 in the “B” final of the event. The Tempe, Ariz., native finished ninth in the preliminary round, posting a time of 28.59 seconds to qualify for the “B” final.

Betulius, a junior at Iowa, finished 16th in the men’s 50-meter backstroke with a time of 26.17 in the “B” final. The Naperville, Ill., native posted the 15th-best time in the preliminary round of the event, hitting the wall at 26.03 to also qualify for the “B” final.

The event serves as the World Championship Team Trials for the 2013 FINA World Championships. Neither Hawkeye finished in the top three of his event, which is required to earn a spot on Team USA.

Both Nelson and Betulius will compete again in the 100-meter breaststroke and the 100-meter backstroke, respectively, today.

Hawkeye senior Emily Hovren will swim in the 200-meter individual medley on Saturday. Hovren is a school-record-holder in three events – the 200-meter individual medley, the 200-meter freestyle and as a member of the 800-meter freestyle relay team – for the Iowa women’s team.

The Championships will be streamed live at www.usaswimming.org.