Iowa’s White a finalist for World University Team

Hawkeye men’s basketball player Aaron White was announced as one of the 16 finalists for the 2013 USA Basketball Men’s World University Games Team.

The USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Team Committee made the announcement on Wednesday after the first three days of training camp at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.

Fellow member of the Black and Gold Roy Devyn Marble, who was invited to the camp with White, did not make the first cut.

The training camp will continue in Colorado Springs through June 30. The 12-member team will be announced before the team leaves for Russia on July 1. The men’s basketball competition of the 2013 World University Games will be played July 7-16 in Kazan, Russia.

“The effort of this group was unbelievable, and it was very tough to get down,” Jim Boeheim, chair of the USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Team Committee and head coach of the Syracuse men’s basketball program, said in a release. “Usually, it’s pretty easy to get down to 16. It was not easy with this group. It was very difficult. Guys were very, very close in a two-day tryout. Another day, and it might have been a couple of different guys in there, but you have to take the guys that played the best, and those 16 played the best.”

The other finalists were Spencer Dinwiddie of Colorado; Yogi Ferrell of Indiana; Davante Gardner of Marquette; Treveon Graham of Virginia Commonwealth; Jerian Grant of Notre Dame; Luke Hancock of Louisville; Tyler Haws of BYU; Rodney Hood of Duke; Cory Jefferson of Baylor; Sean Kilpatrick of Cincinnati; Alex Kirk of New Mexico; Dough McDermott of Creighton; Adreian Payne of Michigan State; Chasson Randle of Stanford; and Will Sheehey of Indiana.

Davidson College’s Bob McKillop will lead Team USA, with assistant coaches John Beilein of Michigan and Frank Martin of South Carolina.