Former Iowa women’s golfer set for U.S. Women’s Open

Former Iowa women’s golfer Chelsea Harris will take her talent to the 2013 U.S. Open Championship this week in Southampton, N.Y., at the Sebonack Golf Club.

Harris, the first Hawkeye to compete in the event, will open play in the 68th running of the tournament in the first group at 5:45 a.m. (CDT) Thursday. She’ll tee off with Ayako Uehara and Jamie Hullett. The trio will play together again on Friday, when they’ll tee off at 11:30 a.m. on hole No. 10.

The lowest 60 scores, with ties, will advance to play through the weekend. The tournament will begin with a field of 156 players.

Harris advanced through the Wheaton, Ill., qualifier, in a one-hole playoff on May 14 to earn a spot in the Open. She finished with a 36-hole total of 145 — good for one-over par — at the Cantigny Golf Club to finish tied for second place, where she went on to defeat Mexico’s Ana Menendez in the first playoff hole.

Harris was a member of the Iowa women’s golf team from 2008-12 and competed in 40 tournaments in her career. As a senior, the Normal, Ill., native played in 11 events, posting a team-best 76.28 scoring average — good for the ninth-best scoring average in school history.

The first and second round of the U.S. Women’s Open will be broadcast on ESPN2, with coverage running from 2 p.m. through 6 p.m. The third and final round will be broadcast on NBC, running from 2 p.m. through 5 p.m. All times are central.