Three Iowa field-hockey players selected to U21 Championship

Three Iowa field-hockey players — Natalie Cafone, Dani Hemeon, and Isabella Licciardello — have been selected to compete at the USA Field Hockey U21 Women’s National Championship. The competition will take place today through June 25 in Norfolk, Va.

The three Hawkeyes will vie for spots at the Junior National Team Camp. From there, a team will be sent to the Women’s Junior World Cup in Germany on July 27-Aug. 4.

In addition, two future Iowa field-hockey players — Chandler Ackers and Alexandra Pecora — will head to Virginia Beach on June 20-26 to compete in the National Futures Elite Championships.

Cafone saw playing time in 20 games, including seven starts, as a freshman during her 2012 campaign. She tallied 17 points — 8 goals and 1 assist.

Licciardello played in two games during her freshman year. She is also a six-time USA Futures Program participant, a five-time National Futures Championship participant and a three-time Future Elite participant.

Hemeon was a 2012 Academic All-Big Ten honoree, and started in all 21 games during her sophomore year. She led the Iowa field-hockey team in points (24) and goals (11). Hemeon also ranked 10th in the Big Ten in goals in 2012.

Ackers led Crestwood High School to a state championship in 2012 and garnered High School Regional All-America honors. The future Hawkeye was also named the 2012 Times Leader Player of the Year.

Pecora, an incoming goalkeeper, led Bishop Eustace Prep School to New Jersey state championships in 2010 and 2012.