Four Hawkeye football players earn preseason recognition

Four members of the Iowa football team have been named to Athlon Sports’ Preseason All-Big Ten teams.

Jordon Cotton earned the honor as a first-team kick-return specialist. Linebacker James Morris garnered a spot on the second-team defense. Mike Meyer, Iowa’s place-kicker, earned a spot on the second-team as well. The fourth Hawkeye to receive recognition was offensive lineman Brandon Scherff, who earned a spot on the third-team offense.

Cotton, an incoming senior, led the conference in kickoff returns last season, averaging 28.2 yards in 19 attempts, which also ranked 14th nationally. His 92-yard kickoff return against Penn State is tied for the 10th-longest return in program history.

Morris ranked third in the Big Ten, 31st in the country, in tackles per game last season (9.4). Morris currently ranks 16th in career tackles at Iowa with 293.

Meyer was a semifinalist for the Lou Groza Award in each of the past two seasons. Meyer ranks fifth in career scoring with 235 points, and his 45 career field goals are tied for the fifth best in school history.

Scherff started seven games at left tackle last season before an injury in the Penn State game sidelined him for the remainder of the 2012 season.