Fiedorowicz, Weisman receive preseason recognition

Iowa football players C.J. Fiedorowicz and Mark Weisman were recently named to the 2013 College Football Performance Awards Watch List.

Weisman earned a spot on the Running Back Trophy Watch List, and Fiedorowicz was listed on the Tight End Trophy Watch List.

“Congratulations to Mark Weisman and C.J. Fiedorowicz on earning spots on the 2013 Offensive Awards Watch List,” College Football Performance Awards Executive Director Brad Smith said in a release. “Coach Kirk Ferentz has an outstanding running back and tight end at his disposal for the 2013 season.”

Fiedorowicz, a Johnsburg, Ill., native, was an honorable mention All-Big Ten selection by the coaches and media last season. He caught 45 passes for 433 yards and just one touchdown during his 2012 campaign. Fiedorowicz has made 17 consecutive starts — including all 12 from last year.

Weisman ranked ninth in the conference with 81.5 rushing yards per game last season. He corralled 815 yards on the ground on 5.1 yards per carry. His 217 rushing yards against Central Michigan tied as the eighth best single-game rushing total in school history.

All players are eligible for awards at their respective positions. More than 130 recipients have signed professional contracts, and 21 have been first-round NFL draft selections.

Former Hawkeye defensive linemen Adrian Clayborn earned the group’s Defensive Player of the Year Trophy in 2009.

The full list of the 2013 recipients will be announced on Jan. 8, 2014.