While you were away: Playing catch-up with Hawkeye sports

Former Hawks named to the U.S. National Squad

Two former Iowa field-hockey players, Meghan Beamesderfer and Lauren Pfeiffer, were recently selected to be a part of the 2013-14 U.S. Women’s National Squad.

Beamesderfer has spent the last seven seasons as a member of the Iowa field-hockey program. She helped lead Iowa to three-consecutive Big Ten Tournament championships from 2006-08 and was an integral part of the Hawkeyes’ 2008 NCAA Final Four run. Beamesderfer, who was a two-time All-American for the Hawkeyes, now serves as an assistant coach under head coach Tracey Griesbaum.

Pfeiffer has been a member of the national team since 2009 and was also a two-time All-American during her time at Iowa. Pfeiffer started all 83 games in her Hawkeye career, and her 53 career goals ranks ninth all-time at Iowa.

“The Hawkeyes are thrilled to have two of our own representing us on the National Squad,” Griesbaum said in a release. “To be able to play for your country is a huge honor. Lauren and Meg were highly successful Division I college field hockey student-athletes. Their skills, athleticism, and determination have continued to help them accomplish goals in their sport. We wish them well as they prepare for World Cup qualification throughout this year.”

The U.S. Women’s National Field-Hockey Squad is training at Rutgers to prepare for the International Hockey Federation’s World League Semifinal in London, June 22-30.

Dunn named Academic All-American

Iowa men’s tennis player Garret Dunn was recently named to the 2013 Capital One Academic All-America third team. The honor recognizes the nation’s top student-athletes for both their athletic and classroom performances.

Dunn earned a 3.99 grade point average while majoring in finance and accounting. He has been named to the President’s List three times and the Dean’s List six times.

The Tempe, Ariz., native was named a Big Ten Distinguished Scholar award winner in 2012 — the same year he was named Iowa’s Most Valuable Player after leading the team in Big Ten victories.

Iowa hoopsters to attend World University Games Training Camp

Devyn Marble and Aaron White made the list of 29 college basketball players who will attend the 2013 USA Basketball Men’s World University Games Team Training Camp.

The training camp, running from June 24-30, will be held at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo. This camp will be used to select the squad that will represent the USA in Kasan, Russia, on July 6-17. Other notable members of the team include Creighton’s Doug McDermott, Indiana’s Will Sheehey and Yogi Farrell, and Baylor’s Cory Jefferson, among others.

“I’m honored and excited to have this opportunity,” Marble said in a release. “To be able to play alongside some of the country’s best young players will be fun and challenging. Having Aaron [White] there, too, will be a great experience.”

White, in the same release, said, “I’m excited about going to the training camp. This is a tremendous honor and opportunity for me and Devyn. We’re going to work hard, play our game, and hopefully get selected to represent the U.S. overseas next month.”

Iowa softball’s Blank was invited to USA Women’s National Team Selection Camp

Megan Blank, the shortstop for the Iowa softball team, was recently invited to the 2013 USA Softball Women’s National Team Selection Camp. The camp, located in Oklahoma City, will begin today and run through Wednesday at the ASA Hall of Fame Complex.

Blank is one of 32 athletes who will compete for the 17 spots on the 2013 USA Softball Women’s National Team roster.

“It is a huge honor to be invited to the Selection Camp for Team USA,” Blank said in a release. “It is all athletes’ dream to be able to play for their country, and to be invited to try out for the national team is definitely a dream come true. I am really excited for the opportunity to compete for a spot next week alongside some of the top players in the country. It would be surreal to put on the jersey and play for the USA.”