Hyde gets drafted; other former Hawkeyes sign with NFL teams

Former Iowa defensive back Micah Hyde was the 159th player selected in the 2013 NFL draft. Hyde went in the fifth round to the Green Bay Packers.

The 2012 Big Ten Defensive Back of the Year will join former Iowa football players Brian Bulaga and Mike Daniels in Green Bay. Hyde snagged 8 interceptions during his career at Iowa and returned two of them for touchdowns in 2010.

Hyde was the only former Hawkeye selected in this year’s draft, but a few other former Iowa players found NFL opportunities shortly after the conclusion of the draft.

Keenan Davis agreed to terms with the Cleveland Browns on Aril 27 and will depart for mini-camp later this week. Davis hauled in 111 catches for 1,459 yards and 7 touchdowns as a wideout for the Black and Gold.

Former offensive lineman Matt Tobin also agreed to terms with the Philadelphia Eagles. Tobin is a former Iowa walk-on, and he will seek a role in former Oregon head coach Chip Kelly’s system.

Former Iowa quarterback James Vandenberg signed a free-agent contract with the Minnesota Vikings. The Keokuk native is one of five quarterbacks on Minnesota’s roster — the others being Christian Ponder, Joe Webb, Matt Cassel, and McLeod Bethel-Thompson. Ponder, Webb, and Cassel have all started NFL games in their careers.