Iowa softball gets swept in Ann Arbor

The No. 9 Michigan softball team swept the Hawkeyes this past weekend in Ann Arbor, Mich., extending its current winning-streak to 21 games — the longest streak in the country.

Iowa dropped the first game on April 20, 5-3. The Hawkeyes held a 2-1 lead before giving up 4 runs in the bottom of the sixth. Iowa’s scored only 1 run in the top of the seventh-inning.

Iowa and Michigan then played in a double-header on Sunday because the first games of the series, scheduled for April 19, was postponed because of rain.

In the first game, Michigan jumped out to an early 8-0 lead after the third-inning. Iowa responded by posting 2 runs in the fourth, 3 in the fifth, and another in the seventh, but fell short in an 8-6 loss.

The Wolverines made quick work of Iowa in Sunday’s later game, downing the Hawkeyes in five innings by an 8-0 score. Michigan posted 5 runs in the third-inning in Sunday’s second contest.

“We had moments where we didn’t quit, and I like that," Iowa softball coach Marla Looper said in a release about Sunday’s games. “We took the momentum back multiple times. Unfortunately, we did not finish, and that is frustrating. We need to execute and control what we can control.”

Michigan improved to 39-7 overall and now possesses a perfect 16-0 conference mark. The sweep drops Iowa to 24-19 overall, 4-11 in the Big Ten.