Iowa’s Blank earns weekly conference honor after stellar performance in Evanston

The Big Ten named Iowa softball’s Megan Blank Player of the Week Monday. This is the second Player of the Week nod Blank has garnered this season, the first coming on March 4.

The honor came after Blank didn’t tally an out in 14 plate appearances this past weekend in a three-game road set against Northwestern.

“That does not happen very often,” Iowa softball coach Marla Looper said in a release. “She is a vital part of our offense. Opponents are showing her a lot of respect. Her walks have increased drastically of late. Unfortunately for us, she is then unable to swing the bat.”

Blank went 4-for-4 when the Wildcats pitched to her, collecting a home run, two singles, and a triple. The Culver City, Calif., native also crossed the plate three times and knocked in 3 runs throughout the weekend.

Eight of the other 10 at-bats in which Blank reached base came in the form of walks. The remaining two hit the sophomore, allowing her a free pass to first. Blank has reached base in the last 26 games, including each of Iowa’s 12 conference outings.

Blank leads the team with a scorching .440 batting average. Should the season end today, that mark would be the best in school history, topping a .428 average set by Kim Davis in 1993.