Iowa women’s gymnastics falters in NCAA’s

The Iowa women’s gymnastics season came to a close in Norman, Okla., when the GymHawks earned a sixth-place finish with a score of 194.475 in the NCAA regional on April 6.

Freshman Kyra Trowbridge finished out a breakout freshman season by once again earning numerous leading scores. Trowbridge earned a 9.850 for her floor routine and took third place overall with a 9.9 on vault, a career high.

The team struggled on bars, only tallying a 48.25 on what was one of its strongest events all season. Senior Emma Stevenson, in her final college gymnastics meetz, led the team with a 9.825, with freshman Adara Griffin earning a career high 9.8.

Iowa earned a 48.275 on the beam, led by sophomore Emma Willis’ 9.8. The GymHawks performed well on the floor, their best event this season, with an overall score of 49. Behind Trowbridge, Willis earned a 9.825 and sophomore Sydney Hoerr earned a 9.8.

It was the last competition for seniors Stevenson and Wickus and final meet for the third senior, Kaitlynn Urano, whose season ended by a broken tibia and fibula. 13 of the team’s 16 roster spots were filled with underclassmen, and the team will have no seniors next year.

“The last three events were really strong, but it’s going to take four,” Iowa head coach Larissa Libby said in a release. “As we’re moving forward, hopefully, the girls will take a look and realize what it’s going to take to get to the top, and that starts today."