Hawkeye women’s gymnastics falls in Big Tens

Despite the consistency the GymHawks have shown all season, the Big Ten championships proved too much for the young and injury depleted Iowa women’s gymnastics team on March 23. The team suffered a season-low 193.4 overall score in East Lansing, Mich., and placed eighth among eight competing teams. 

Freshman Kyra Trowbridge was by far kthe GymHawk’s strongest competitor, leading the Hawkeyes with scores on the beam (9.675), vault (9.825), and floor (9.9).

The balance beam was once again a struggle for Iowa. Four of the six gymnasts fell, resulting in scores of 9.2 or lower. The team scored a 46.550 on the event.

The Hawkeyes fortunately had stronger performances in three other events. On the uneven bars, Iowa earned a 49.1 — the highest overall bar score of the session. Senior Emma Stevenson led the GymHawks with a 9.875, and sophomore Sydney Hoerr following close behind with a 9.85. 

Iowa also earned a 49.1 on the floor with Trowbridge’s performance earning her sixth place. Stevenson and sophomore Emma Willis also earned scores of 9.850 while senior Maya Wickus scored 9.725 on the vault.

Nebraska was crowned Big Ten champion for its second-consecutive time with a score of 197.8.

“The weaknesses in our lineups were exposed tonight,” Iowa women’s gymnastics head coach Larissa Libby said in a release. “I’m thankful that we have another shot at regionals."

Iowa also traveled to Cedar City, Utah, on March 15 for a quad meet against Southern Utah, San Jose State, and Ball State. The GymHawks placed second with a score of 195.025; Southern Utah finished first with a 196.2.