Former Iowa football star Tippett on 2013 College Football HOF Ballot

Former Hawkeye football All-American Andre Tippett has been named to the 2013 Football Bowl Subdivision ballot for the College Football Hall of Fame. The announcement was made by the National Football Foundation  on Tuesday.

Tippett was a consensus All-American for Iowa as a senior in 1981. He is one of 77 former college-football players and five former college football head coaches on this year’s ballot. The official 2013 Hall of Fame Class will be announced during a press conference on May 7 in New York City.

“It’s truly an honor to be on the ballot and included in a pool of incredible college players and coaches,” Tippett said in a release. “It’s even more of an honor to be able to represent the University of Iowa, Coach Hayden Fry and my teammates on those teams.”

Tippett lettered three years at Iowa after a prep career in Newark, N.J. He led the Hawkeyes to a share of the 1981 Big Ten title and a spot in the 1982 Rose Bowl, which was Iowa’s first bowl appearance since the 1959 Rose Bowl. He earned first-team All-Big Ten honors as a junior and senior.

Tippett holds the Iowa record for tackles for loss yardage (153 yards on 20 tackles for loss). He led the Big Ten in tackles for loss as a junior. He served as a team captain as a senior and was selected in the second round of the 1982 NFL draft by New England.

Linebacker Larry Station, inducted in 2009, is the most recent Hawkeye inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame. Former Hawkeye coach Hayden Fry was induced in 2003.