UI students to receive new IDs in coming weeks

Unlike their predecessors, many University of Iowa freshmen will not have to carry numerous cards to gain access to sporting events, dormitories, or even their bank accounts.

UI spokesman Tom Moore estimated 9,000 new cards had been issued thus far. He also said that more than 5,000 of the 6,000 current students who live in the residence halls are accessing their buildings using their IDs.

“We have a campaign in progress to re-card the rest of the residents in the next three weeks,” Moore wrote in an email. “When that population is served, we will begin the conversion to the Iowa One card for other students, faculty, and staff.”

New Iowa One Cards can be obtained at the Iowa One Card Center located in the lower level of Jessup Hall. Returning students with IDs can upgrade for free.

However, a $25 fee will still apply to those who have lost their current IDs.

New cards will have Prox technology integrated in them, eliminating the need for a Prox card, which is issued to any UI student living in the dorms. Prox technology was introduced to the UI residence halls four years ago and completed last fall. The project cost $3 million.

UI sophomore Blake Jorgensen recently updated his Iowa One card.

“It eliminates the need to carry the extra Prox card,” Jorgensen said. “I use it the same way I used my last one, but I like the fact that I can use it and get access to my hallway.”

The linking of Iowa One Cards to bank accounts is not a new process — the UI previously had a contract with the University of Iowa Community Credit Union. That five-year partnership came to an end in February.

Because the UI and the credit union did not renew their contact, the UI linked with Hills Bank. The contract will cost Hills Bank $613,000 for branch rental space at the IMU and the UIHC.

Hills Bank also installed 22 ATMs in March, with locations including Carver-Hawkeye Arena and Kinnick Stadium.

The new partnership has the exclusive right to market to freshmen, and that has increased Hills Bank’s business.

“During Orientation, we connected over 25 percent of the incoming freshmen with ID cards that are also attached to their bank accounts,” said Ken Hinrichs, the vice president of e-banking services at Hills Bank and Trust Co. “There has also been very strong interest in new accounts with the IDs linked to the cards, as returning students have come back to school from the summer.”

UI sophomore Steven Bieber, a resident assistant in Daum, has yet to switch.

“I haven’t really heard much discussion about it,” he said about the new Iowa One Card.

Many current students may be tempted to switch because of the added features.

“I guess it just depends on personal preference,” he said.