Demonstrators: Obama policies increase U.S. deficit

While thousands of President Barack Obama’s supporters waited hours to hear the president speak, a handful of conservatives stood across from the University of Iowa Field House holding anti-Obama signs.

Many protesters spoke out against Obama’s economic policies, as well as the national deficit, the job market, and student loans.

Obama visited the UI Wednesday to advocate the renewal of current federal interest rates on student loans.

Peter Larson, UI senior and member of the UI College Republicans, said his biggest issue with the president’s policies include the rising deficit.

"I feel that more students at the University of Iowa need to be educated about the dangers this president possesses if he’s elected for another term," he said. "So I feel like it’s my duty to come here and express my distaste for him."

The roughly 30-person crowd consisted mostly of UI students. Yet members of surrounding communities were also present.

For Rose Kendall, a 74-year old Burlington resident, this was the second time she protested the president’s appearance.

"We’re running out of money, so he can’t keep giving away money," Kendall said. "He’s throwing older people under the bus. He’s teaching all these young people here that all they’ve got to do is sit back and let it be handed to them."

Kendall also cited her disagreement with government subsidized student loans, stressing the importance of being more self-supporting.

"My friend went to school and worked her way through school … She didn’t get handouts from any government, and she did just fine," she said.

Among the older protesters included 62-year-old Rick David from North Liberty, who said the upcoming election was the most important of his lifetime.

"It’s basically a choice between a society of dependence and bondage versus prosperity and freedom," David said.