Iowa City City Council OKs design of Moen building

Two weeks after approving a $2.5 million tax-incentive financing for a proposed 14-story development, the Iowa City City Council supported a new design for the building.

The city councilors approved an agreement with local developer Marc Moen’s Central Park LLC April 3 to redevelop space at 114 S. Dubuque St. Moen plans to construct a 14-story mixed-use commercial and residential building in the space now occupied by the Wells Fargo Bank. Councilors also approved providing Moen with a $2.5 million in TIF for the development.

Subsequent meetings between Moen and city design staff and architects resulted in a new design for the 14-story building.

"I love architecture, but I’m not an architect," Moen said. "The architects provided a far more superior design. It’s a much more marketable design … It has an increased construction cost, but to me, it’s worth it."

Councilors approved the new design on a 5-2 vote, with Mayor Matt Hayek and Councilor Jim Throgmorton opposing the changes.

"My concern is about the precedential impact of this," Hayek said. "This would be a first. There are a lot of buildings on the horizon where a similar request could be made. [It’s something] councilors better be comfortable with."

The changes include a cantilever — a long projecting beam — of the building over the Black Hawk mini-park and the Pedestrian Mall. The proposed cantilever would be 17 to 18 feet above the ground. Moen said the cantilever would provide a four-foot canopy for pedestrians. Additionally, there would be inserted, recessed balconies 4-feet deep starting on the fifth floor of the building.

Councilor Connie Champion praised the building’s new design.

"This is an excellent design," she said. "Pedestrian-wise, it’s much better. You’re not going to be looking at this sheet of glass you’re afraid that’s going to fall down on you. It makes you feel safer."