Dobyns, Soboroff face off for City Council; Throgmorton runs unopposed

Rick Dobyns

Rick Dobyns, a University of Iowa clinical professor of family medicine, is campaigning a second time for a spot on the Iowa City city government, this time for the City Council District A seat.

The Johnson County Board of Supervisors appointed Dobyns to the Johnson County Board of Health, he volunteers his time at a free clinic, and he’s involved in other medical work in the area.

"I feel very qualified. I’ve done work at both the federal, state, county, and city levels," he said. "I’ve had a lot of community experience through a range of different areas. I can’t think of anything a council person would do that I haven’t done in several different venues."

Dobyns said he hopes to stabilize the tax base, change attitudes toward business recruitment potential, and market and enhance the "unique" reputation of Iowa City’s three commercial areas.

Steve Soboroff

Steve Soboroff has been a part of the Iowa City community since 1994. After encouragement from listeners of his radio station, KCJJ-AM 1630, he decided to run for the District A seat.

"I wasn’t really actively seeking it until then, but I think I can contribute a lot," he said. "I can contribute a little common sense."

The 62-year-old said hopes to limit unnecessary police involvement — especially from UI police — toward ticketing for alcohol. He also said he wants to make the Southeast Side of Iowa City safer, an issue he feels is underrepresented within the current government.

"We’ve had problems with break-ins, we’ve had killings, and shootings. They put up a police station with hours from 8 [a.m.] to 5 [p.m.] Sorry, but that’s not when the problem is," he said. "It’s affecting the whole town."

Soboroff said he hopes to make Iowa City a more welcoming place to businesses, a goal that encompasses security and law enforcement.

He said he ultimately wants to give a voice to the underdog.

"I want to represent those people who haven’t been represented," he said. "Those people are the people that come here for a better life, the people that live here for a good life, and those businesses that have been sent away."

Jim Throgmorton

Jim Throgmorton, a UI professor emeritus of urban planning, is running unopposed for a seat in District C.

Throgmorton aims to promote long-term sustainability, provide good jobs, create a strong tax base, and improve safety in the southeastern district. Throgmorton said he also acknowledges the community’s concern regarding the Taft Speedway and affordable housing.

Throgmorton sums up his campaign with the words "experience, skills, vision."

This will be Throgmorton’s second term as a city councilor; he served from 1993 to 1995.