Lawmakers call Hamerlinck comments “appalling”

The area Statehouse delegation had harsh words for Sen. Shawn Hamerlinck, R-Dixon, who criticized students lobbying for education funding.

A handful of Iowa college students visited Des Moines this week to push for more higher-education support. Hamerlinck told the students, “You just put forth the effort to be part of political propaganda in a political circus … I do not like it when students actually come here and lobby for funds.”

Sen. Joe Bolkcom

“It was appalling. It was totally over the line. I don’t understand why Sen. Hamerlinck wouldn’t want to hear from constituents. It’s condescending and extremely inappropriate.”

Sen. Bob Dvorsky

“We have a lot of students, and they have just as much right to lobby as anyone else. That’s in the Constitution. I don’t understand [Hamerlinck’s remarks]. I really don’t.”

Rep. Jeff Kaufmann

“I work with students on issues such as tuition and find them to be very helpful … We utilize the students as a way to figure out how to solve these problems and continue to look to them as a resource to solving these problems.”

Rep. Dave Jacoby

“It is absolutely our job to listen to all constituents and to listen to all students. I find his attitude appalling and his treatment of the people who took the time to come to the Capitol disgusting.”