City Council election: Bazzell aims to patch up town-gown relationship

Jared Bazzell never thought his college days would involve fiercely campaigning for a political seat.

Now, the UI senior is in the race for a spot on the Iowa City City Council.

“I really think that the City Council right now doesn’t respect students to the level it needs to,” he said. “… I’m not afraid to stand up there and voice my opinion.”

The Cedar Rapids native said he has acquired leadership experience that could help him in next week’s primary election.

From traveling on the UI debate team to being the sole student employee in the UI Business Manager’s Office — which handles UI property contracts — he hopes his experience and student status will give him an edge.

After throwing the idea around with friends and family for roughly a year, he officially put his name on the ballot around two months ago.

“I actually ran; I took the step,” the 22-year-old said.

But many weren’t surprised.

His family and supporters said they expected him to run, acknowledging his drive to affect the community.

“Jared has always been a leader,” said mother Cheryl Bazzell. “People follow Jared because he has something to say.”

Jared Bazzell said he thinks a younger voice on the council is vital to better connecting Iowa City and the UI community — a relationship that too often ignores students, he said.

“Everything that affects the students happens when they are out of town,” he said.

Bazzell said he is also concerned with the city’s public safety.

“We’re hiring recycling coordinators right now, but we can’t hire police officers,” he said. “We can’t wait any more time for public-safety grants.”

With the primary quickly approaching, on Oct. 6, Bazzell said he is focusing on rallying students to vote.

“Students need to turn out,” he stressed, looking at his watch, worrying about being late to a meeting with downtown small-business owners on Sept. 21.

Bazzell is also working to set up early voting sites in UI buildings and residence halls in time for next week’s primary.

He is one of three UI students running for a council seat in addition to two community members.

The Oct. 6 primary election will narrow the ballot from five names to four for the Nov. 3 final election.