Juvenile curfew splits council

The Iowa City City Council on Tuesday evening voted 4-3 to continue moving forward with a potential curfew. However, the council’s opinions were just as torn as Iowa City residents’.

“I don’t believe it’s right to punish an entire age group for the actions of a certain group of people,” said City High student 16-year-old Lisa Campie.

Some city officials agree with this young Iowa City native, who would be affected by the ordinance if it passes.

“I don’t want to punish a group of people based on their group of age,” said Mayor Regenia Bailey. “It’s the behavior that’s problematic, not the time of day.”

After recent alleged criminal activities in the southeastern Iowa City, some residents proposed a curfew ordinance in the hopes that the violence might come to an end. The City Council held a special work session on Sept. 10 and decided to move forward with the proposed ordinance.

Exceptions to the curfew include school, religious, and government activities — with some restrictions. Emergency errands for a parent, or other “responsible adults” are also allowed. The fine for a citation would not exceed $50.

Despite youngsters and officials who opposed the curfew ordinance, citizens affected by the violence in their neighborhood showed their support at the meeting.

While Southeast Side resident Brandi Mastain understood minors’ concerns, she struck them with a challenging question.

“How many have watched violent fist fights in front of the house … or had to run to the bathroom and lie on the floor?” Mastain asked at the meeting.

As many were unable to respond, she explained that this is a common situation that her family must deal with.

Other Southeast Side residents showed their support in favor of the curfew ordinance.

“I think a curfew would be a tool for the Police Department, but we need to also provide the children with tools,” said Kenya Bagget, a three-year Iowa City resident.

While many expressed opposition and support, the city councilors said they understand both sides of the issue.

“I recognize it will affect people whose actions have not led to this point,” said Councilor Matt Hayek. “This is a sacrifice by the entire community.”

The council must vote in favor of the curfew two more times to pass the ordinance.

The council also voted 6-1 to further consider a loitering ordinance. The rule would fine large groups of people obstructing traffic.