Iowa City schools make Obama address optional

Tiffany Lewis’ homeroom class at Horn Elementary took a break Tuesday from a science lesson to listen to President Obama’s back-to-school speech.

“We’re going to have a speech from President Obama about goals for the year,” she told the fifth- and sixth-graders.

Some kids rushed to the back of the room to get chairs and pillows to comfortably prop themselves in front of the television. Others stayed in their seats and started to work on homework, an alternative Lewis offered them.

During Obama’s 15-minute speech encouraging children around the nation to work hard in school, the Horn students sat intently listening until the majority lost interest after a few minutes.

The speech sparked some controversy nationwide, with some parents worrying Obama would push political messages on their children.

Obama isn’t the first president to address America’s schoolchildren — George H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan gave similar speeches while in office.

Northwest Junior High parent Mike Thayer sent an e-mail to School District officials on Sept. 2 expressing his concerns about Obama’s speech given during “institutional time.”

Thayer said he was initially concerned that the schools were going force students to watch it, which he acknowledged did not happen.

“The schools were very cooperative,” he said.

However, contrary to parental worries, City High Principal Mark Hanson said he thought Obama’s messages to the kids — such as taking responsibility for one’s education — are “good things to hear.”

UI Associate Professor Glenn Storey, who is also a City High parent, said he had no problem with his daughter watching the speech, though she was unable to because it was during her lunch hour.

“I couldn’t fathom there would be any objection,” he said. “It was not a political speech — just telling students to go to school.”

For Lewis’ class at Horn, teachers sent notes home on Sept. 4 to inform parents about Tuesday’s curriculum. The children were allowed to do what made them most comfortable — based on the consent of their parents — during the time of the speech.

“We had an option during the speech to watch it or do another activity,” Lewis said.

Each teacher at Horn Elementary was able to make her or his own decision, said Horn Principal Kristin Cannon.

Lewis decided to have her class watch the speech because the topics Obama discussed “are components of our state standards and benchmarks,” she said.

Some teachers chose not to watch the speech in their classrooms because of scheduling conflicts, Cannon said.

Horn wasn’t the only school who left the decision up to their educators. City High also made the viewing optional.

“If teachers choose to show it, typically it’s going to be in a class where there’s some tie to government,” Principal Hanson said, though the school offered students other options, too. “It is kind of a novelty that the president is addressing the students with a speech like this.”

Other institutions, including Tate High, had their educators tape the speech for students to view later in the day to avoid scheduling conflicts during school hours.

“We think it’s important students hear what President Obama has to say to them,” Tate Principal Stephanie Phillips said.