Donald Trump, President: “God Bless the U.S.A.” by Lee Greenwood

December 15, 2019

Contributed

Contributed

A Trump rally works a little bit like a rock concert. The music is loud, the fans are enthusiastic, and the star of the show is loving every bit of the chaos. It’s carefully designed this way.

Listen: “God Bless the U.S.A.” by Lee Greenwood

Swiatlowski remembers hearing “God Bless the U.S.A.” during his childhood at an airforce base. His mother and he would go to welcome back soldiers from the first Iraq war, and that’s the song that would play. It’s perfect for patriotic moments throughout time.

“God Bless the U.S.A.” is a classic, which is why Trump uses it as one of his several walk-on songs. Most people know the chorus and can sing along. The song itself builds, swelling to that final “U.S.A.” note. The message isn’t nuanced or hidden. The message is clear: 

“’Cause there ain’t no doubt

I love this land

God Bless the U.S.A.”

All of Trump’s music fits his brand because Trump’s brand is, “I do what I want, no matter what.” Even when Trump’s music switches from “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” to “Memories” from the Broadway musical Cats, any song he plays is a statement, a claim. This is my song.

Listen: “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” to “Memories” from the Broadway musical Cats

Many artists have spoken against Trump, telling him to stop using their songs. For example, the Rolling Stones, Queen, Guns and Roses, and Rhianna. The list goes on. Where other candidates would back off the controversy, Trump continues to use the music within legal parameters. This act of defiance itself fits Trump’s campaign.

When Trump steps on to the stage, the crowd has been listening to loud rock music for an hour. Once the crowd sees him, people erupt in screaming, cheering, and singing. Trump smiles and he waves his arms like a conductor, watching his supporters scream back the lyrics.

Watch: Trump rally in Council Bluffs, Iowa

“God Bless the U.S.A”

The Daily Iowan • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in