MTSU quarterback Asher O’Hara escapes Iowa’s Geno Stone during a football game between Iowa and Middle Tennessee State at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, September 28, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Blue Raiders, 48-3.

Point-counterpoint: Where does Iowa need to improve most?

Daily Iowan Pregame Editor Pete Ruden and Assistant Sports Editor Robert Read debate which area the Hawkeyes need to refine the most in the second half of the season.

October 18, 2019

Forcing turnovers

Iowa hasn’t been the team fans have come to know and love this season.

The Hawkeyes have ranked in the top 10 in the nation in interceptions in three of the past four seasons.

After finishing tied for 10th in picks in 2015, Iowa led the FBS with 21 in 2017 before ending 2018 tied for second with 20 interceptions.

Right now, the Hawkeyes sit tied for 72nd in the country with four picks.

Iowa’s rosters in those strong days boasted some players who will go down in Hawkeye history such as Desmond King, Josh Jackson, and Amani Hooker.

While all of those players are gone, it’s not like Iowa doesn’t have players who can step up.

Despite the secondary getting nicked up for a good chunk of the season, cornerback Michael Ojemudia and safety Geno Stone have been anchors for the defensive-back group.

Ojemudia has racked up two picks this season, and Stone added another against Michigan on Oct. 5. Outside of those two players, only linebacker Djimon Colbert has intercepted a pass.

At this point last season, Iowa had forced eight interceptions — double what it has in 2019.

While the Hawkeyes have recovered three fumbles this season — including two clutch scoops against Iowa State on Sept. 14 — there needs to be more.

Iowa’s defense still ranks fourth in the conference, giving up only 10.2 points per game, but if the Hawkeyes find a way to force more turnovers, it’ll give their offense more opportunities to put points on the board, something it has struggled with as of late.

-Pete Ruden

Red-zone offense

Halfway through the 2019-20 season, Iowa has done a lot of things well. The Hawkeyes boast a 4-2 record and one of the best defenses in the nation.

Michael Sleep-Dalton and Keith Duncan have both been exceptional on special teams for the Hawkeyes, particularly in Iowa’s dramatic victory over Iowa State.

Where Iowa has struggled the most this season — most notably against Michigan and Penn State — is on offense. In particular, the offense has struggled finishing off drives with touchdowns.

Nate Stanley and the Iowa offense have been reasonably successful moving the ball down the field this season. However, when the offense gets into the red zone, the Hawkeyes sputter.

A combination of giving up sacks, committing penalties, and poor play-calling has forced Duncan to attempt far too many field goals this season. Or even worse for Iowa, red-zone trips don’t lead to any points at all.

Iowa’s losses against the Wolverines and Nittany Lions were close ones, and if Iowa punched the ball into the end zone after many opportunities in opposing territory, the games may have gone very differently.

The Iowa offensive line has been a revolving door of sorts this season, so some signs of struggle are to be expected. But when the offense has threats like Brandon Smith and Ihmir Smith-Marsette at receiver and Mekhi Sargent and Tyler Goodson at running back, scoring touchdowns — especially after entering opposing territory — should be an expectation.

Iowa has a chance to improve upon this facet of the game in the second half of the season, and it will need to in order to keep Big Ten West hopes alive.

-Robert Read

The Daily Iowan • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in