Iowa quarterback Nate Stanley makes a pass during a football game between Iowa and Iowa State at Jack Trice Stadium in Ames on Saturday, September 14, 2019. The Hawkeyes retained the Cy-Hawk Trophy for the fifth consecutive year, downing the Cyclones, 18-17.

Point-counterpoint: Debating Iowa’s offensive success against Middle Tennessee

Sports Reporters Austin Hanson and Ben Palya debate whether the Hawkeyes will score more touchdowns on the ground or through the air in Week 5.

September 23, 2019

Passing touchdowns

Four weeks of college football have seen the Hawkeyes jump from No. 20 to No. 14 in the AP Poll. Iowa has been nationally ranked in each of the season’s first five weeks.

However, Iowa has only been challenged one time. On the road in Ames, the Cyclones presented the Hawkeyes with a mighty challenge. The Hawkeyes held on to win in Ames, 18-17.

Before facing the Cyclones, Iowa was able to make oddsmakers happy. Iowa covered the spreads Las Vegas presented them against Miami (OH) and Rutgers.

For most fans, Hawkeye victory in week five isn’t their primary concern. Covering the spread will likely be on the minds of most Hawkeye fans in week five. Right now, Iowa is listed as a 23.5-point favorite at home over Middle Tennessee State.

How do the Hawkeyes cover the 23.5 point spread this week? They continue to throw the football. This season, Nate Stanley has thrown 93 passes through three games. Last year, Stanley had only thrown 79 passes through three weeks. 

The 2019 Hawkeyes seem more committed to the pass than ever before. Weapons such as Tyrone Tracy, Ihmir Smith-Marsette, and Brandon Smith have incentivized throwing the ball for offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz. While Iowa is not a pass first offense, they have thrown the ball around 46 percent of the time. 

The wide receiving corps has also seemingly done the impossible. To a certain degree, the gap left by tight ends Noah Fant and T.J. Hockenson has been filled. In fact, Iowa’s passing game might be better in 2019 than it was in 2018.

Expect the Hawkeyes’ explosive receivers to find and convert on many scoring opportunities on Saturday.

Running touchdowns

Iowa will have more rushing touchdowns on Saturday.

Although Middle Tennessee has made average quarterbacks like Shea Patterson look good, Iowa will look to go to ground to expose MTSU’s frail rush defense. In their first three games, the Blue Raiders gave up more than 200 rushing yards to their opponents, including 207 to FCS Tennessee State.

Although Iowa has not been as sharp as usual with the run game, this will be the game where Iowa can really figure it out and do some serious damage on the ground.

Iowa has potential in the area featuring three running backs with more than 100 yards. With that in mind, Iowa will be able to expose MTSU with ease.

Another factor in the run game could well be Nate Stanley, who is running the ball a lot more than normal. Expect big games from Mekhi Sargent and Torren Young as Iowa will gain a lot of their points through Kirk Ferentz’s solid run game.

The Daily Iowan • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in