FILE+-+People+spectate+a+movie+at+Sycamore+Theatre+in+August.+

Katie Goodale

FILE – People spectate a movie at Sycamore Theatre in August.

Point-counterpoint: Should production houses make reboot movies?

As Disney and other major production houses continue to reboot classic movies, two columnists debate if this is a good thing.

October 28, 2018

Let creatives make new original ideas for movies

Do you remember the way it feels when you leave a movie with a great plot that says something you have never heard before? It’s the excitement that comes with seeing new original films. That’s why production studios should focus on new original movies rather than reboots.

Yes, I do enjoy seeing a retelling of an old story with modern updates and production choices that help it feel fresh and new. But when a film doesn’t bring any of that to the table, I am left wondering: Why bother making this film at all?

I know the answer: Money. But when films bring something original to the cinema, it seems to always be enjoyed by many and generates boatloads of profit.

Look to Jordan Peele’s film, Get Out. This is a truly original thriller that audiences loved and it made $255.5 million at the U.S. box office.  Another example is John Krasinski, Scott Beck, and Bryan Woods’ A Quiet Place. This film took the nation by storm with its original and fresh look at a horror/family drama and in turn made $334.5 million at the U.S. box office.

I’m tired of seeing classic cartoons I grew up watching countless times as a child be remade shot for shot, such as The Jungle Book.

Yes, some old films have tons of meat in them that could make a topical conversation, but that’s kind of why those old films exist.

So, when I’m asked the question of whether or not I want live action remakes of my favorite Disney classics, the child in me might answer “yes” quickly, but the older me wants something fresh and innovative from production companies.

Remakes are a second chance

The surge of Disney remakes has given me a sense of nostalgia and reminds me of the magic these movies hold. While the core of the stories remains the same, remaking a movie for the current time allows Disney to fix any mistakes or add things the company originally forgot or that fans wanted added in.

These stories have stood the test of time for a reason. All ages and generations can relate to the feeling that these movies give us of hope, joy, or of simply being captivated by the charm. Remaking a movie gives siblings, parents, cousins, or anyone who experienced these movies at a young age, the ability to better relate to their children or the younger generation as a whole and share a common moment.

With the upcoming remake of Aladdin, I am excited to see people who look like me on the big screen. That Naomi Scott, who will play Princess Jasmine, is half-Indian is a huge deal to me. Growing up, Princess Jasmine was the only one who I could relate to even though she was meant to be Middle Eastern. I know how much of a difference representation in the media I consumed growing up would have made to me, and now this is a chance for kids growing up to have that.

Honestly, for me, I enjoy reliving the feeling of watching rebooted Disney movies even if it may not be the exact same thing I watched as a kid. I hated The Jungle Book growing up, but watching the remake gave me a chance to understand the story differently.  Whether it was the live action or the different appreciation I have now that I’m older, I’m not sure, but I’m glad Disney remade Aladdin. I look forward to the Mulan and The Lion King remakes, and even if you don’t, there’s no reason to not let others enjoy it.

The Daily Iowan • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in