Point/Counterpoint: Are online classes good for students?

Are online classes more efficient or do they take away from in-person class time?

September 27, 2018

Online classes leave UI students paying the same for less

A lot of classes at the UI have online options. Actually, the university has entire majors that can be taken completely online. Students can register in the UI’s distance and online education program; those who choose this route get a small break in tuition — they do not have to pay the full amount of student fees that their in-class counterparts do. And though the cost difference is miniscule, some students decide that taking online classes is  more convenient for them — for a whole slew of different reasons.

Choosing to take a course online does not actually seem to be best for students. Everyone knows that online classes mean that students have little to no face-to-face interactions between themselves and their fellow classmates or professors. For some students, a lack of interaction can hinder learning.

Many online classes have components that allow students to go at their own pace, which can, on its face, seem appealing. However, it also leaves a large door open for students to procrastinate and do the bare minimum at the end of the semester. With procrastination comes a lack of learning and overall long-term retention of material.

Online classes make sense for students who know that independent learning is their strong suit. But online classes have little benefit for typical first- and second-year students who may not fully understand how they learn best. Sure, it could save time, but students at the UI pay the same amount for a class regardless of if the course is online or in a classroom. This leaves students shelling out the same amount of cash despite the obvious difference in the amount of resources between the two.

RELATED: Point/Counterpoint: Who is the victor in the Drake vs. Pusha T beef?

Online classes allow students to have flexible schedules

I am a huge fan of online classes. Online classes allow me to have a more flexible schedule. I have more time to work, go to the gym, and have a social life. My study time is planned around the rest of my day rather than my day being planned around my classes. Another perk of online classes is that I can listen to online lectures at any time during the week when I have greater concentration.

Lectures can be inefficient for me. I find myself spacing out or feeling too small in a large class. With online classes, I can choose a work space where I am most comfortable. A more pleasant learning environment increases my focus while listening to online lectures. When I am focused in a comfortable environment, I retain a lot more knowledge from an online lecture rather than commuting to a class and sitting among many students.

In a tech-driven world, I am improving my technical skills with an online class. It is clear that the future will have a lot of technology, so I will need computer skills, such as knowing how to navigate a management system, to help me as I continue pursuing a profession.

All in all, I see online classes becoming more prevalent in the future. I feel that people are looking to be more efficient and manage their own time. Online classes allow me to do just that — have a flexible schedule. I manage my own study time, and the best part is I can study wherever I am as long as there is internet.

RELATED: Point/Counterpoint: Is Kylie Jenner self-made?

The Daily Iowan • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in