A.J. Bouland

Point-counterpoint: When should Christmas celebrations begin?

After Halloween ends, when is it OK to start celebrating Christmas?

November 11, 2018

Condense the holiday season

Halloween has come and passed. And while some of us have started our Christmas countdown calendars and entered full-on holiday season, others of us haven’t even begun to think of the approaching festivities. I’m here to tell you that we shouldn’t start the holiday season as soon as Halloween ends. Rather, I think it should start the day after Thanksgiving on Black Friday.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the holidays as much as the next person. Every year I look forward to seeing classic holiday movies such as Elf, Home Alone, and It’s a Wonderful Life during ABC Family’s 25 days of Christmas movie marathon. I also love indulging in the plethora of holiday cookies that my mom bakes every year as well as spending time with family and friends watching sports and enjoying the much-needed reprieve from the rigors of school.

That’s why I’m a believer in limiting the holiday season to roughly the month of December — including the few days after Thanksgiving in November and extending to Jan. 1.

When we extend the holiday season so that it starts two months before Christmas, we diminish the vitality of the holiday season. With two months of holiday cheer, every day becomes less special than it could be if the holiday season were limited to a month. We should let November be what it is — a month of preparing for finals, winter, and the holiday season.

With that said, there’s nothing wrong with listening to a little holiday music in November. But, I do think it’s going a bit too far to start any decorating or festivities before Halloween’s pumpkins have had time to decay. Halloween’s stash of candy ought to be able to tame your holiday passions until Turkey Day rolls around.

Hands off my holiday celebration

Every year, at the end of Oct. 31, the Bah! Humbugs of the world despise the spirit of those that spread joy for all to hear. “You’re skipping Thanksgiving,” they say as a valid excuse to intrude on the personal decisions of those around them.

I wasn’t always an early celebrator. It wasn’t until I began playing piano that I became extra eager to enjoy the Christmas spirit. Sounds of Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker Suite filled my home as I prepared for numerous recitals and performances that needed to be perfected on or before Dec. 1. My household consequently got an early start to the holiday season.

As a family, we made the best out of the situation before us. Celebrating early allows us more Saturdays to watch more Christmas movies together, starting with Jingle All the Way (every year without fail). This does not mean we don’t enjoy A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. We find it possible to enjoy both simultaneously, but make the most out of the weeks between Halloween and Thanksgiving.

I don’t question this early celebration. After all, why would I question looking forward to the holiday season? Shouldn’t everybody? Is a Turkey Trot really worth being excited for? Only to be followed by sitting around the living room with a full stomach? I do enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday but am not one to pretend that it is so grand that it can’t justifiably be overshadowed by Christmas.

We rejoice more time on tests, homework, time with friends, and sleep, but shame others for making more time to celebrate the holiday season at the end of Halloween?

Halloween has ended. Happy Holidays, everyone.

The Daily Iowan • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in