Iowa men’s basketball winning with improved turnover differential

The Hawkeyes’ have turned up the defensive pressure in the seven games since junior forward Patrick McCaffery’s return.

Jerod Ringwald

Iowa guard Connor McCaffery contests a shot from Northwestern forward Robbie Beran during a men’s basketball game between No. 24 Iowa and Northwestern in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Monday, Feb. 28, 2022. Beran did not make a shot. The Hawkeyes defeated the Wildcats, 82-61.

Grant Hall, Sports Reporter

Iowa men’s basketball is experiencing a midseason defensive renaissance with an improved turnover differential, which is in turn driving the Hawkeyes to late-season success.

Since junior forward Patrick McCaffery’s return against Rutgers on Jan. 29 after missing six games because of anxiety, the Hawkeyes have won five of six games as of Feb. 18. Their sole loss came at the hands of then-No. 1 Purdue on the road.

During that six-game stretch, the Hawkeyes have forced 29 more turnovers than they’ve given up. The only game Iowa posted a turnover deficit during this stretch came in a 16-point victory over Northwestern on Jan. 31 when the Hawkeyes turned the ball over 12 times to the Wildcats’ 10.

Iowa has increased its forced turnovers by 2.5 takeaways per game compared to their rate during McCaffery’s absence. McCaffery himself has forced eight turnovers, including five steals in the Hawkeyes’ loss at Purdue.

To create turnovers, the Hawkeyes run a variety of press coverages to apply pressure to opponents’ guards as they bring the ball up the floor. The key to the Hawkeyes’ press defense is rangy forwards who move quickly laterally.

Iowa has two players on the roster who meet those requirements: McCaffery and fellow junior forward Kris Murray. At 6-foot-9 and 6-foot-8, respectively, the two swingmen are typically found at the front of Iowa’s press.

With Patrick McCaffery back in the rotation, head coach Fran McCaffery and his staff have more flexibility with their defensive options, as they can run the press with Murray or Patrick McCaffery on the floor.

At a media availability session on Feb. 14, Fran McCaffery explained his reasoning for placing forwards with long wingspans at the forefront of his defense.

“A lot of teams play more of a ‘contain’ press, but we like to play aggressive and disrupt their rhythm,” Fran McCaffery said. “Having big guys at the front limits what the other team can see, and it forces turnovers, which creates offense from your defense. Both Kris and Patrick are pretty smart about when to get back on defense and match up, and they slide their feet well.”

Fran McCaffery added that he actively pursues players that meet the aforementioned requirements when scouting potential high school recruits or transfer players.

“The way we play, we want as much length as we can have,” Fran McCaffery said. “Whether you’re playing man or zone defense, you want guys that are active and aggressive.”

Despite the statistical advantages the Hawkeyes’ press has given them since his son Patrick’s return, Fran McCaffery is aware that applying heavy pressure doesn’t always work in Iowa’s favor.

“There’s always some disadvantages because you’re opening yourself up, giving them opportunities to attack you, throw it over the top, and shoot threes,” Fran McCaffery said. “That can be problematic when you play a team that plays four guards.”

The results speak for themselves, however. In the Hawkeyes’ past five victories, they’ve scored an average of 14.2 points per game off turnovers, while their opponents average eight points off turnovers per contest. Over that same stretch, Iowa’s average margin of victory is 9.7 points. In other words: Fran’s squad is winning games thanks in part to their substantial defensive pressure.

Iowa’s players seem to enjoy the aggressive playing style, as well. Graduate senior Connor McCaffery said forcing pressure on opponents keeps the team engaged and provides energy.

“We’re aggressive with it, and it helps us force turnovers,” Connor McCaffery said. “I think we’re seeing a lot of benefits from it, and I like the energy it forces us to play with.”