Live updates | Iowa football takes on Wisconsin at Kinnick Stadium

The Hawkeyes and Badgers will battle in snow flurries and 30-degree temperatures. Kickoff is set for 2:35 p.m.

Daniel McGregor-Huyer

Iowa wide receiver Arland Bruce scores a tocuhdown during a football game between Northwestern and Iowa at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 29, 2022. Iowa defeated Northwestern, 33-13. Bruce recorded two catches and 22 receiving yards.

Chris Werner, Assistant Sports Editor

The Iowa football team will battle Wisconsin for the Heartland Trophy on Saturday at Kinnick Stadium. Wisconsin has beaten Iowa six of the last eight times the two teams have met.

The last time Iowa defeated Wisconsin at home with fans in the stands was in 2008.

Iowa’s defense will have to contend with Wisconsin sophomore running back Braelon Allen. Allen ran for 104 yards and averaged 5.2 yards per carry in last season’s 27-7 Badger win over the Hawkeyes in Madison.

This season, however, Allen sustained a shoulder injury in the Badgers’ 35-24 victory over Purdue on Oct. 22. Although he has played in every game this year, Allen says the injury is affecting him.

“When I hurt it against Purdue, I had to get X-rays and stuff and see what was going on,” Allen told 24/7 Sports. “It was just a sprain. They told me it couldn’t really get worse and that I could play on it. That’s all I needed to hear. I just have to treat it up and do whatever I need to do to feel the best I can.”

RELATED: Big Ten football notebook | Braelon Allen working through shoulder injury, lawyer alleges Michigan player started tunnel fight

Per sources, Iowa wide receiver Arland Bruce IV was not on the field during the early warmup session. Bruce has played each game this season but was limited in a few contests. Hawkeye sophomore defensive back Cooper DeJean will likely handle punt returns today.

COIN TOSS | Wisconsin has won the toss and defers to the second half. Iowa will receive the first-half kickoff.

13:05 1Q| Iowa goes 3-and-out on its first possession and Wisconsin will take over at its own 37.

12:10 1Q| Wisconsin follows with a 3-and-out of its own. Iowa will take over at its own 12-yard line.

9:15 1Q| On a 3rd-and-9 play Petras takes a sack and fumbles. Wisconsin recovers the fumble near midfield.

4:14 1Q| Wisconsin drives it to the Iowa 14-yard line and Andy Van Zelst converted a 32-yard field goal attempt. 3-0, Wisconsin.

1:07 1Q| Iowa will punt from its own 25-yard line. The Hawkeye drives have ended in three punts and a fumble so far today. 3-0, Wisconsin.

END 1Q| Iowa trails Wisconsin, 3-0, and the Hawkeyes have -5 yards rushing. 3-0, Wisconsin.

14:39 2Q| Wisconsin punts and Iowa will take over on its 33-yard line. 3-0, Wisconsin.

11:52 2Q| Iowa punts yet again. Wisconsin will take over at its own 20-yard line. Punt counter: Iowa, 3 Wisconsin, 2. Point counter: Wisconsin, 3, Iowa 0.

10:55 2Q| Wisconsin’s punt from the Wisconsin 19 is blocked by Deontae Craig and recovered by Jay Higgins. Higgins ran it back to the 17 and two plays later, Hawkeye running back Kaleb Johnson found the end zone. 7-3, Iowa.

9:27 2Q| Wisconsin punts for the fourth time of the afternoon. Iowa will take over at the Wisconsin 45. 7-3, Iowa.

8:37 2Q| Iowa punts from the Wisconsin 40-yard line. Taylor booted it into the end zone for a touchback. 7-3, Iowa.

5:22 2Q| Wisconsin punts for the fifth time of the first half. The Badgers’ punter deposited it into the end zone and Iowa will begin its drive from its own 20. 7-3, Iowa.

3:34 2Q| Iowa Be offensive lineman Beau Stephens is down with an injury but leaves the field under his own power. 7-3, Iowa.

2:25 2Q| Iowa will punt from its own 23 and Wisconsin calls a timeout to conserve time. 7-3, Iowa.

1:50 2Q| Graham Mertz’s pass is intercepted by Cooper DeJean and returned for a 32-yard pick six. It’s DeJean’s second pick six of the season. 14-3, Iowa.

0:52 2Q| Graham Mertz tosses a  51-yard touchdown pass to Keontez Lewis on 3rd-and-18. 14-10, Iowa.

HALF | Wisconsin leads the yardage battle, 164-79, but Iowa leads on the scoreboard, 14-10. Both Iowa scores were due in large part to its defense. The Hawkeyes scored two plays after a blocked punt in the red zone and on a pick six. 14-10, Iowa.

13:04 3Q| Riley Moss grabs his first pick of the season after Graham Mertz’s pass was tipped. Iowa will take over at its own 44-yard line. 14-10, Iowa.

10:58 3Q| Iowa takes a quick 3-and-out after the interception and Wisconsin will take over at its own 20. 14-10, Iowa.

8:51 3Q| Iowa will take over at its 26-yard line after Wisconsin goes 3-and-out yet again. Mertz fumbled a snap and recovered it for a 14-yard loss on that series. 14-10, Iowa.

7:19 3Q| Iowa punts again and Wisconsin will take over on its own 43-yard-line. Punt counter: Wisconsin, 6, Iowa, 7. Point counter: Iowa 14, Wisconsin 10.

6:26 3Q| Wisconsin punts again and Iowa will take over at its own 28. 14-10, Iowa.

3:46 3Q| Tory Taylor’s eighth punt of the afternoon is downed at the Wisconsin 1-yard-line. 14-10, Iowa.

0:50 3Q| Cooper DeJean runs a Wisconsin punt back for 41 yards to the Wisconsin 18-yard line. 14-10 Iowa. 

END 3Q| Iowa leads 14-10 and has the ball inside Wisconsin’s 10-yard line. The Hawkeyes will begin the fourth quarter with a 1st-and-goal at the Wisconsin 5-yard line. 14-10, Iowa.

13:52 4Q| Spencer Petras crosses the goal line with a 1-yard quarterback sneak. Petras has rushed eight times for -41 yards and a touchdown tonight, sacks included. 21-10, Iowa.

11:25 4Q | After another Wisconsin punt, Iowa takes over at its own 22. 21-10, Iowa. 

10:14 4Q| After Tory Taylor’s ninth punt of the day, Wisconsin will start its drive at its own 37-yard line. 21-10, Iowa.

7:51 4Q| Graham Mertz’s pass falls incomplete on 4th-and-7. Iowa will take over on its own 46. 21-10, Iowa.

Iowa wins, 24-10, to reclaim the Heartland trophy and defeat Wisconsin in front of the Hawkeye faithful for the first time since 2008. Iowa beat Wisconsin in 2020 in an empty Kinnick Stadium.