One-on-one with Iowa football free safety Quinn Schulte

Daily Iowan Football Reporter Isaac Goffin chatted with Schulte at a media availability session on Sept. 13.

Grace Smith

Iowa defensive back Quinn Schulte tackles Illinois wide receiver Isaiah Williams during a football game between Iowa and Illinois at Memorial Stadium in Champaign, Ill., on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2022.

Isaac Goffin, Football Reporter

The Daily Iowan: Could you explain what it’s like being a part of the Iowa football program?

Quinn Schulte: Yeah, it’s just something not a lot of people get to do. It’s definitely a life-rewarding experience, and it’s an honor just to be connected to past Hawkeyes and future Hawkeyes.

DI: What’s it like coming here from your hometown?

Schulte: Yeah, it’s great. Being from Cedar Rapids, being so close to home, a lot of family and friends that are nearby that help support you.

DI: What are your favorite spots around Iowa City?

Schulte: I guess I’d probably have to go with Airliner pizza, maybe. So, I guess that’s what I would say.

DI: Anything else?

Schulte: Gosh, I don’t even know. Honestly, I don’t go downtown a whole lot. So, I don’t really go out to a lot of restaurants.

DI: Yeah, I live downtown, and I don’t go out a lot as well. I’m a big of the NCAA Football video games. How would you rate yourself if you were in that game?

Schulte: I have no idea. Honestly, just a lot to improve on. I have no idea what the ratings are. I don’t have an Xbox or anything, so I don’t know.

DI: What do you like to do outside of football?

Schulte: Outside of football, I honestly, I like to just hang out with my family and friends. In the summer, I like to golf. I think a lot of people like to do that, but just kind of play other sports.

DI: Where do you like to golf at?

Schulte: Usually up in Cedar Rapids. Mainly the public courses. Ellis, back when they had Jones, and I guess Twin Pines too.

DI: What would you say is your favorite sport outside of football?

Schulte: I always said it was basketball growing up. I just like the sport, like playing basketball.

DI: What’s your favorite professional basketball team?

Schulte: The [Dallas] Mavericks.

DI: Why?

Schulte: My brother was a big Dirk Nowitzki fan growing up, and I kind of followed him and became [one]. Appreciated Jason Kidd when they made their title run.

DI: Have you seen the Mavericks in-person yet?

Schulte: I have actually. We went down and watched them versus Golden State and Steph [Curry] and Klay [Thompson] back when they played. That was a cool experience.

DI: When was this?

Schulte: This was, I think, Luka [Dončić’s] first year, Dirk’s last year, maybe.

DI: How would you rate yourself on the court?

Schulte: I don’t know. I just try to go out there, be a kind of facilitator, team player.

DI: That’s kind of me on the basketball court as well. What do you want to do outside of football after you graduate?

Schulte: I’m pre-dental right now, so hopefully become a dentist.

DI: Anything else you want to add?

Schulte: No

DI: Thank you.

Schulte: Appreciate it.

This interview has been lightly edited for length and clarity.