Iowa City police arrest two in relation to Mormon Trek Blvd. Kum & Go robbery

The Iowa City Police Department arrested two suspects in relation to the robbery of a Kum & Go gas station on Mormon Trek Blvd that occurred on Tuesday. Police believe the suspects worked together to stage the robbery.

Gabby Drees

An Iowa City Police car is seen near the Iowa City Police Department in Iowa City Monday, Nov. 1, 2021.

Isabelle Foland, News Reporter

The Iowa City Police Department made two arrests in relation to a reported robbery of a Kum & Go gas station that occurred on Tuesday.  

At around 1:12 a.m. on Tuesday, Iowa City police responded to a report of a robbery at the Kum & Go gas station located on 955 Mormon Trek Blvd. Witnesses inside the gas station reported seeing the suspect threatening to shoot the clerk but never displaying a firearm. 

The suspect then fled the scene with an undisclosed amount of cash, according to Iowa City police.  

In relation to the investigation, Iowa City police made a traffic stop around 12:35 p.m. on Wednesday. Clarence Jackson, 28, of North Liberty, and Michael Preslicka, 29, of Iowa City were inside the stopped vehicle. 

Preslicka is the Kum & Go employee who reported the robbery, according to an Iowa City police statement.

Iowa City police believe that Jackson and Preslicka staged the robbery at Kum & Go together. Both have been arrested and now face criminal charges.

Jackson is facing charges of fifth-degree theft, false report of indictable offense to a public entity, and possession of a controlled substance. Preslicka is facing charges of fifth-degree theft, false report of an indictable offense to a public entity, and false report to 911. 

Fifth-degree theft can result in 30 days in jail or a fine of up to $855, according to Iowa City police. A false report, depending on if it is a simple or severe misdemeanor, can result in between 30 days to one year in jail. Possession of controlled substances can result in a fine between $250 and $1500.