Iowa women’s tennis loses matches against Denver and Colorado in road trip

With the losses, the Hawkeyes fell to 4-4 on the season.

Gabby Drees

Iowa’s Marisa Schmidt serves the ball during a tennis match between Iowa and Drake at Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex in Iowa City on Sunday, Jan. 16, 2022. Schmidt defeated Drake’s Ines Stephani. Iowa beat Drake, 6-1.

Chase Szewc, Sports Reporter

Iowa women’s tennis lost two matches on the road to the Denver Pioneers and Colorado Buffaloes this weekend.

First, Iowa fell to No. 58 Denver on Friday afternoon, 4-3.

Freshman Barbora Pokorna and senior Samantha Mannix won both their singles and doubles matches. In singles competition, Pokorna defeated Denver’s Toni Nelson (6-4, 7-5), and Mannix defeated Denver’s Taylor Melville (6-1, 7-5).

The doubles duo of Mannix and Vipasha Mehra defeated Denver’s Melville and Anna Riedmiller, 6-1. Meanwhile, Iowa’s Pokorna and Michelle Bacalla beat Denver’s Nelson and Tatum Burger in the doubles match, 7-6.

Iowa then was defeated by Colorado 4-1 on Sunday morning.

Freshman Marisa Schmidt defeated Colorado’s Caroline Pozo (6-4, 3-6, 6-1) at the No. 1 spot in singles competition, which was the only win for the Hawkeyes on the day.

Big picture

Iowa now has a 4-4 overall record after starting the spring season 4-1.

The Hawkeyes have lost three straight matches to fall back down to .500. This marks the longest nonconference losing streak since they lost four straight in the 2019-2020 season.

Iowa has one final nonconference game before they open up Big Ten play.

Recent struggles

Iowa hasn’t collected a win since its Feb. 15 home victory against Missouri nearly two weeks ago.

No Hawkeye has won in the No.3 though No. 5 singles spots in their three-match losing streak.

Role player

Pokorna didn’t lose any matches this weekend in both singles and doubles.

She went 2-0 in her doubles matches and 1-0 in her singles matches at the No. 6 position. Her final singles match against Colorado went unfinished.

Up next

Iowa will travel to Manhattan, Kansas, to match up against Kansas State on March 4 at noon.

Kansas State has a 4-3 overall record this season.