Student Spotlight: Freshman Samm Yu pushes for social change in the photography industry

As lack of representation, limited accessibility and unrealistic beauty standards plague the photography industry, University of Iowa freshman Samm Yu looks to make modeling available to all.

Raquele Decker

Samm Yu poses for a portrait on Friday, Dec. 3, 2021. (Raquele Decker/The Daily Iowan)

Jami Martin-Trainor, Arts Reporter

University of Iowa student Samm Yu has seen issues plaguing the photography industry and set out to solve them.

The first-year noted that a distinct lack of representation, limited accessibility, and unrealistic beauty standards are barriers to making photography attainable for many communities.

Yu is working to change that reality. Starting her freshman year of high school, she was inspired to pursue photography because of her dad. After a few years of practicing taking shots on his camera, Yu got one of her own and opened a photography business.

Booking shoots in the Des Moines and Central Iowa area, Yu expanded her network and opportunities.

“Photography has gotten me into a lot of spaces where I never would have been before. Through my photography and social media, I grew my platform and I was able to take photos of Bernie Sanders and AOC,” Yu said. “Normally a very young, 18-year-old Asian-American person would not be in the press pit of events like that, but I had connections through so many different communities that knew me for my photography.”

Access to exclusive events is not Yu’s only motivation, however. She focuses largely on representation, as she believes access to photography is limited for students of color and students living in poverty.

To combat those deficits in accessibility, she looks to create an environment in which photography can be available to everyone. She said she mostly focuses on taking pictures of people of color and younger people.

“I noticed that, in my community and in the industry, there were not affordable photos that were specifically for students of color or students living in poverty,” Yu said. “Noticing that gap, I’ve tried to fill that role.”

RELATED: Student Spotlight: Senior Jared “Bobi” Knox related his photography to other artistic avenues

Due to the nature of her goals, Yu centers people in her work. Her favorite subject to photograph is people, specifically in pairs. The genuine emotion and vulnerability that two people show when they are comfortable together is something that Yu finds great for photos, she said.

With people as subjects, it is important to make clients feel as if they are in a safe environment, Yu said. Whether that be through communication, pricing, or perspective, she said she actively makes sure her clients feel good about themselves and the photos she’s taken of them.

“I’ve been told a lot that I am the first photographer to make people feel comfortable,” she said. “I’ve worked with grown women that have had their senior photos taken and couples’ photos, birthday photos, and normally it’s like middle-aged men that charge way too much and don’t make them feel comfortable.”

RELATED: Student Spotlight: Master’s student co-curates culinary archives exhibit

Des Moines student Mary Kitundu, who has modeled for Yu on several occasions, said her time with Yu has been much better than her experiences with other photographers. A variety of factors play into that outcome, but the primary reason is Yu’s communication, Kitundu said.

“Because we’re almost the same age, it’s like being there with a friend. She’s so relatable, she’s very nice and she understands if you’re feeling a bit shy,” Kitundu said. “Our conversations that we have while we’re taking the photos are great and she can get a smile out of anyone.”

As well as creating a more inclusive environment in the photography industry, Yu seeks to combat negative beauty standards. Her photography Instagram biography says, “Making Regular Folks Into Real Life Models.” This rationale stems from a comment Yu’s mentor made on her work, saying that what makes it so compelling is the fact that the models can look like themselves.

Yu does not offer retouching services, meaning she refuses to edit out blemishes and scars and will not lighten skin. She said she feels that her models all have the capability to retouch on their own, so it is not her place to do so.

Des Moines barista Marelynn Navarro, one of Yu’s models, said photographing with Yu is more comfortable because she knows how to make her clients feel safe.

“Samm is an absolute artistic and creative being,” Navarro said. “Anytime you’re taking a photo and you’re feeling nervous about yourself, a helpful compliment is so nice.”

Facebook Comments

Raquele Decker, Photojournalist/Videographer

(she/her/hers)

Raquele Decker is a Photographer and Videographer at The Daily Iowan. She is a junior at the University...

• Sonya Madrigal dances across stage while rehearsing “Letters From Cuba,” in the University of Iowa’s Theatre Building on Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2022.

Arts

Photos: Iowa Directors Festival rehersals

• Actors act out a scene in “Cupid Tyrannous,” a play written by Kiley E Rowe and co-directed by Albert Williams and Alexis Vaselopulos on Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2022. The play is set to premiere on Friday, Jan. 28 and Saturday, Jan. 29, in the Alan MacVey Theatre at the Theatre Building.

Arts

UI Theatre Department’s workshop series to present ‘Cupid Tyrannous,’ a play about love and loneliness

• Actors perform during warmups of “England’s Splendid Daughters,” in the University of Iowa’s Theatre Building on Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2022.

Arts

Iowa Directors Festival returns, presents four unique shows

• Student Ella Davis poses for a portrait with her art on Saturday, Jan. 22, 2022. This piece was done in collaboration with Trumpet Studio member Sara Lyons.

Arts

Student Spotlight: First-year artist Ella Davis creates artwork inspired by trumpet music

• Contributed photo of author Jennine Capó Crucet.

Arts

Local Libraries LIT invites author Jennine Capó Crucet to speak on race, gender, and immigration

• Jan 8, 2017; Beverly Hills, CA, USA; Lily Collins arrives for the 74th Golden Globe Awards at the Beverly Hilton. Mandatory Credit: Dan MacMedan-USA TODAY NETWORK

Arts

Emily in Paris season 2 mirrors the mediocrity of its debut season

• Contributed from the artists.

Arts

UI creatives make short film inspired by Museum of Natural History’s Mammal Hall

• Contributed photo of Beverly Mead.

Arts

‘Mama Mead’ finds family on the stage

• Contributed photo from Hancher.

Arts

Hancher’s ‘An Officer and A Gentleman’ delivers almost everything you could want in a musical

• A demolition notice paper can be seen on the outside of the building where The Mill was formerly located in Iowa City on Monday, Jan. 17, 2022.

Arts

The Mill set for demolition, plans for new arts venue in motion