Iowa football wide receiver Tyrone Tracy Jr. enters transfer portal

The redshirt junior has seen a decrease in production in the 2021 season.

Jerod Ringwald

Iowa wide receiver Tyrone Tracy Jr. runs into the end zone for a touchdown during a football game between Iowa and Maryland at Maryland Stadium on Friday, Oct. 1, 2021. Tracy Jr. had one touchdown. The Hawkeyes defeated the Terrapins 51-14.

Chloe Peterson, Assistant Sports Editor

Iowa football junior wide receiver Tyrone Tracy Jr. has entered the transfer portal.

The wideout confirmed that he entered the portal on Dec. 8 with a statement posted to Twitter.

“First and foremost, I would like to thank the University of Iowa for even giving a young kid a chance to make his dreams come true!” the statement read. “To the fans, thank you for welcoming me with open arms. Y’all are awesome! To my teammates, I love y’all and will forever be grateful our time together. Our bond will never be broken or forgotten. We have had a great ride so far, am I am truly sadden to depart from y’all! It’s not goodbye, but see you later.

“To my coaches, I want to thank you for pushing me and helping me work on my craft and giving me life lessons that I cann cherish my entire life!” the statement added. “I wouldn’t be the man I am without them! With all that being said and after a lot of prayer and conversations with my family, I’ve decided it would be best for me and my future to enter the transfer portal. Sad to leave, but excited to see what God has in store for me.”

The redshirt junior from Camby, Indiana, has been with the program for four years, and enters the portal with two years of eligibility remaining.

Head coach Kirk Ferentz also released a statement regarding Tracy’s departure from the Iowa football program.

“Tyrone is a tremendous person who has made many contributions to the success of our team over the past three seasons,” Ferentz said in the statement. “I am saddened that he made this decision but will be fully supportive of him as he looks for a new opportunity. Tyrone is not only a good player but an individual of high character with a great family supporting him. We will miss his energy and leadership in the locker room and on the field.”

Tracy has seen a decrease in playing time over the 2021 season in favor of true freshmen wideouts Keagan Johnson and Arland Bruce IV. On Nov. 17, Johnson replaced Tracy at the top of the depth chart.

Tracy finished the 2021 campaign with only 15 receptions for 106 yards and a touchdown. 

Prior to the 2021 season, Tracy had high expectations, saying he wanted to finish with at least 1,000 receiving yards and win the Big Ten Receiver of the Year award.

Tracy had a standout freshman season in 2019, recording eight starts and leading the Hawkeyes with 589 receiving yards. In 2020, Tracy saw a decrease in production, with only 14 receptions for 154 yards in the eight-game season. Tracy entered the season as Iowa’s No. 1 wide receiver after the departures of former Hawkeyes Brandon Smith and Ihmir Smith-Marsette. 

The former Decatur Central High School standout was a three-star recruit for the Hawkeyes and the 2018 Gatorade Player of the Year in Indiana.

Editor’s note: This story has been updated with statements from Tracy and Ferentz.