Iowa women’s swim and dive falls to Nebraska in Lincoln

The Cornhuskers defeated the Hawkeyes, 193-59, on Saturday afternoon.

Jenna Galligan

Iowa swimmers sing the fight song after a meet against the University of Northern Iowa at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center on Friday, Oct. 1, 2021. After cutting four sports at the end of the 2020-21 academic year, the university of Iowa athletics department reinstated women’s swimming and diving in February. The Panthers defeated the Hawkeyes 159-133.

Chase Szewc, Sports Reporter

Nebraska soundly defeated the University of Iowa women’s swimming team at the Devaney Center Natatorium in Lincoln Saturday, 193-59.

Fifty-nine is the Hawkeyes’ lowest point total of the year. One hundred ninety-three is the most points an opponent has scored against Iowa this season. One hundred thirty-four is the largest margin of defeat Iowa has endured since Jan. 23, 2021, when the Hawkeyes lost to Northwestern, 225-73.

Junior Zoe Pawloski was the lone Hawkeye swimmer to win an individual event. The Iowan reigned victorious in the 100-yard backstroke.

Iowa also found some success on the diving board Saturday. Senior Sam Tamborski won the 1-meter springboard diving competition, finishing the event with a 287.32 score.

BIG PICTURE

Saturday’s loss brought Iowa women’s swimming to 0-3 on the season. The Hawkeyes have suffered blowout losses to Minnesota, Northern Iowa, and Nebraska. The Hawkeyes’ losses to the Golden Gophers and Panthers came in back-to-back weeks at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center in Iowa City.

SWIFT SWIMMING

Three Hawkeyes recorded individual season-highs Saturday. Junior Georgia Clark, Pawloski, and junior Payton Lange posted their best performances of the season in the 200-meter individual medley, the 100-meter fly, and the 200-meter freestyle, respectively.

UP NEXT 

Iowa women’s swim and dive will have nearly a month off before it competes again. 

The Hawkeyes’ divers will travel to Atlanta, Georgia, for the Georgia Tech Diving Invitational Nov. 18-20. Iowa’s swimmers will compete in the University of Miami Invitational that same weekend.