UI to host vaccine clinic at Kinnick

Before the first football game of the 2021 season on Saturday, Hy-Vee will offer flu and COVID-19 vaccines to the public.

Kinnick+Stadium+is+seen+fom+the+north+end+zone+at+Iowa+Football+Media+Day+on+Friday%2C+August+9%2C+2019.+

Kinnick Stadium is seen fom the north end zone at Iowa Football Media Day on Friday, August 9, 2019.

Lillian Poulsen, News Reporter

In a partnership with the University of Iowa, Hy-Vee is hosting a COVID-19 and flu vaccination clinic this Saturday before the Hawkeye football season opener against Indiana University.

The walk-up vaccine clinic will be from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., and there is no appointment required. Hy-Vee Pharmacy will be at the Hy-Vee Healthy You Mobile near the West Campus Transportation Center building, a release from Hy-Vee said. 

Everyone who receives a COVID-19 vaccine is required to stay in the observation area for 15 minutes after they receive their vaccine, the release said. People will have the option to receive either the Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, or Pfizer vaccines. 

Athletic Director Gary Barta at the University of Iowa Football Media Conference said the way to beat COVID-19 is through vaccination.

“I’ve spoken to medical professionals and vaccination is the best way,” Barta said. “Not because it’s mandated, but because medically it’s the best way to overcome this.”

Pfizer is available for people aged 12 years and older and Moderna and Johnson & Johnson are available for people aged 18 years and older. Pfizer and Moderna require two doses that should be administered at least 21 days and 28 days apart, respectively. Johnson & Johnson only requires a single-dose injection, the release said.  

Minors must have guardian consent to receive the vaccine, the release said. Individuals who receive their first dose at the Hy-Vee clinic can receive their second dose at any Hy-Vee Pharmacy location.

Vaccines will also be available for moderately to severely immunocompromised people who are eligible for the third dose of Pfizer or Moderna. According to the CDC, the third dose should only be administered to immunocompromised people at least 28 days after their second dose.