Former Hawkeye Ihmir Smith-Marsette potentially playing multiple positions for Minnesota Vikings in 2021

The 2021 NFL Draft fifth-round pick to the Vikings could get playing time at wide receiver and kick returner.

Iowa+WR+Ihmir+Smith-Marsette+runs+during+the+Iowa+football+vs.+Penn+State+game+in+Kinnick+Stadium+on+Saturday%2C+Oct.+12%2C+2019.+The+Nittany+Lions+defeated+the+Hawkeyes+17-12.+

Katie Goodale for The Daily Iowa

Iowa WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette runs during the Iowa football vs. Penn State game in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019. The Nittany Lions defeated the Hawkeyes 17-12.

Isaac Goffin, Sports Reporter

Whether it was catching the ball down field or returning kickoffs, Ihmir Smith-Marsette proved to be an asset for the Hawkeyes from 2017-20.

The Newark, New Jersey, native led the Hawkeyes in receiving in 2019-20 with 722 yards and 2020-21 with 345. As the Hawkeyes’ primary kickoff returner, Smith-Marsette led the team in kickoff return yards from 2018-20. Now, he’ll be looking to showcase his talents for the Minnesota Vikings, who drafted him No. 157 overall in the fifth round of the 2021 NFL Draft.

According to ESPN’s depth chart, Smith-Marsette is listed as a second-string wide receiver behind Adam Thielen, who is one of the team’s top receivers, along with Justin Jefferson.

Combined, the receiving duo of Thielen and Jefferson had 21 touchdowns and 2,325 receiving yards in 2020-21 on a Vikings offense that ranked fourth in yards per game. Minnesota also averaged 7.77 yards per pass attempt — good for third in the league.

RELATED: Former Hawkeyes Smith-Marsette, Nixon selected with back-to-back picks in fifth round of NFL Draft

With three opportunities in preseason games, there’s a possibility that Smith-Marsette may become the team’s No. 3 starting wide receiver. Paul Allen, the radio play-by-play voice for the Vikings, said in June that individuals within the Vikings believe Smith-Marsette has untapped talent at the wide receiver position, and he’s being given every opportunity to win the No. 3 spot.

After Jefferson and Thielen, the Vikings next leading wide receiver in 2020 was Chad Beebe, who had 201 receiving yards in 2020-21 — sixth on the Vikings. Beebe also notched two touchdowns. He’s listed in the No. 3 spot on the ESPN depth chart.

The Vikings also have a new offensive coordinator in 2021 as Gary Kubiak retired after one year. Klint Kubiak, his son, replaced him for 2021-22 after acting as Minnesota’s quarterback coach from 2019-21.

The Star Tribune reported that Minnesota’s 2020-21 scheme of wide zone runs and play-action passes with the quarterback under center will not change much under Klint Kubiak, but he could introduce “some different flavors” to the offense in 2021.

Right now, it’s unclear the exact role Smith-Marsette will have offensively with the Vikings. On specials teams. ESPN’s depth chart has Smith-Marsette as the team’s starting kick returner. In 2020-21, five Vikings returned kicks, with running back Ameer Abdullah and wide receiver K.J. Osborn taking most of the reps.

Jack White of Vikings Wire for USA Today said in June he thinks the Vikings have to rationalize drafting a player like Smith-Marsette by giving him a special teams role, especially if he isn’t high up on the wide receiver depth chart.

White said he sees Smith-Marsette as a possibility for kick returner, as well as at punt returner, though he never returned punts as a Hawkeye.

The Vikings were tied at 16th for yards per kick return at 21.9 yards in 2020-21. Minnesota ranked last in punt returns with 4.3 yards per return.

As a Hawkeye, Smith-Marsette averaged 26.7 yards in kickoff returns with two touchdowns.

Smith-Marsette reportedly agreed to a four-year, $3.8 million contract with a $318,960 signing bonus in May, according to the St. Paul Pioneer Press.