5 Next Steps After Rear-End Car Accidents

Did you know that there are about 6 million car accidents in America each year? In those car accidents, about 3 million people are injured per year.

Have you or a loved one been involved in a car accident? Even if you haven’t it’s important to be prepared and know what steps to take after a car accident.

This guide explains every step you should take after rear-end car accidents. Keep reading to learn what they are.

1. Call for Medical Assistance

The first thing you should do after getting rear-ended is to make sure you don’t have any serious injuries. If you aren’t visibly hurt you should check on your passengers and then the passengers in the other cars to make sure everyone is ok.

If you’re wondering how to get help after a car accident if there are injuries, the first thing you should do is call 911 for medical assistance. The injured individuals should stay where they are and wait until help arrives.

2. Get Off the Road If Possible

Next on the list of what to do after an accident is getting off the road if possible. If there aren’t any serious injuries you should move to a safer place to avoid any more accidents from occurring.

If your car is in the middle of a busy intersection it’s creating a hazard on the road. If it isn’t too damaged it’s best to move it to the closest curb.

If you aren’t able to move your car you should get yourself to a safer place and wait for help to arrive.

3. Ask for All Necessary Information

Other vital car accident tips include asking for important information. Once everyone is safe you should begin exchanging information with everyone involved in the car accident.

Make sure to write down the name and contact information of the other drivers. Jot down their insurance company’s name and policy number too.

Next, make a note of their driver’s license and plate number. Writing down a description of their car and the exact location of the accident is important too.

4. Document Everything

The most important thing to keep in mind when learning what to do after a car accident is to document everything. Once you’ve collected insurance and contact information, you should also make a note of the names and badge numbers of any responding police officers.

Take pictures of the accident including any injuries of everyone involved. Get information from anyone who witnessed the accident. Make sure to ask where to get a copy of the accident report too.

5. Hire an Auto Accident Attorney

The next step in the process should be to contact your insurer and start processing your claim. Consider hiring an auto accident attorney to make sure you’re compensated properly. Check out a firm like sweetlaw.com.

These Are the Steps You Should Take After Rear-End Car Accidents

There are several important steps to take after rear-end car accidents. This guide explains everything you should know in detail. Check out some of the other blogs on our site for more information.