Follow along: Iowa men’s basketball team faces off with Oregon with trip to Sweet 16 on the line

With a win Monday, the Hawkeyes advance to their first Sweet 16 since 1999.

© Trevor Ruszkowski-USA TODAY Sports

Mar 22, 2021; Indianapolis, Indiana, USA; Iowa Hawkeyes center Luka Garza (55) and Oregon Ducks guard LJ Figueroa (12) reach for the opening tipoff during the first half in the second round of the 2021 NCAA Tournament at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Mandatory Credit: Trevor Ruszkowski-USA TODAY Sports

Robert Read, Pregame Editor

INDIANAPOLIS — A trip to the Sweet 16 is on the line for the Iowa men’s basketball team on Monday.

The No. 2 seed Hawkeyes face off with the No. 7 seed Oregon Ducks in the Round of 32 on Monday at the Bankers Life Fieldhouse. The game is scheduled to tip off at 11:10 a.m. (CST) and will air on CBS.

Iowa has not been to he second weekend of the tournament since 1999. Follow along here to see if the Hawkeyes can advance this time around.

14:51 1H — Oregon leads, 12-11.

Iowa center Luka Garza was called for his first foul right before the break, which drew boos from the pro-Iowa crowd. Coach Fran McCaffery was not pleased and was seeking an explanation from the official. Instead, it appears he was told to go back to the huddle.

Odd note: there are already been four and-ones called, two for each team. Both of Iowa’s were courtesy of Garza, who leads Iowa with eight points so far.

11:42 1H — Oregon leads, 21-19.

There have already been three ties and six lead changes in this one. Garza just went to the bench for a quick rest but will return to the floor after the timeout. The senior leads Iowa with 12 points (4-of-4 from the field).

Oregon had made four straight field goal attempts before Patrick McCaffery rejected a shot right before the break.

6:16 1H — The game is tied, 36-36.

In a very fast-paced game, Iowa’s Joe Toussaint is keeping up just fine. The sophomore points guard’s layup after an offensive rebound tied the game up. Toussaint has five points, two boards, and three assists so far off the bench. McCaffery has also been a spark off the bench for Iowa, scoring six points in five minutes of play.

:47 1H — Oregon leads, 52-46.

The Ducks are on a 6-0 run and have made their last four shots from the field. Overall, Oregon is shooting 58 percent from the field and 50 percent from 3-point range. Iowa is hitting 52 percent of its shots, but only 27 percent from deep (3-of-11).

HALF — Oregon leads, 56-46.

Story: Iowa trails Oregon by 10 at halftime despite Luka Garza’s 22 first-half points

17:44 2H — Oregon leads, 65-51.

The Ducks are on a 9-5 run to start the second half and now lead by 14 points. Fran McCaffery called a timeout and flipped his chair over. He also pulled three starters. Looks like Iowa’s lineup after the break will be Toussaint, Wieskamp, Patrick McCaffery, Keegan Murray, and Garza.

14:40 2H — Oregon leads, 67-57.

Iowa has cut Oregon’s lead back to 10, but now has another issue. Wieskamp appeared to re-injure his right ankle right before the timeout. He walked around the bench area for a couple seconds before heading into the tunnel.

The Hawkeyes are on a 6-0 run and the Ducks have missed their last six shots.

UPDATE: Right before play resumed, Wieskamp came out of the tunnel and jumped on an exercise bike.

11:50 2H — Oregon leads, 75-57.

The Ducks are on an 8-0 and the Hawkeyes have missed their last four shots. Iowa has turned the ball over four times in the last five minutes.

6:42 2H — Oregon leads, 84-66.

Garza is up to 30 points and has broken the Iowa men’s basketball program’s single-season scoring record (which he set last season).

3:20 2H — Oregon leads, 93-77.

With 36 points, Garza has tied Iowa’s NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament record with 36 points. However, Iowa has not been successful in cutting into Oregon’s lead.

FINAL: Oregon wins, 95-80.

Story: Rapid Recap: Iowa men’s basketball team bounced by Oregon in second round of NCAA Tournament

This is a developing story. Check back for more information throughout the game.