University of Iowa to offer in-person celebration along with virtual commencements

The University of Iowa will offer in-person celebration for the class of 2021. The UI said a student and their party can attend both celebrations.

The+Old+Capitol+is+seen+on+Thursday%2C+March+12%2C+2020.+

Jenna Galligan

The Old Capitol is seen on Thursday, March 12, 2020.

Sabine Martin, News Reporter

The University of Iowa will offer an in-person celebration to accompany virtual commencement  for students planning to graduate this spring. 

In a campus-wide email sent on Monday, the UI said a plan for an in-person option to celebrate graduation is in the process of being developed. 

The in-person celebration will not replace the virtual graduation ceremony, the email said. The in-person option will be provided in a socially distanced format. 

“Students who RSVP for virtual commencement also are welcome to participate in the in-person celebration of graduation currently being planned,” the email said. 

As previously reported by The Daily Iowan, Iowa State University announced that it will hold a modified in-person celebration for bachelor’s and master’s degree recipients. 

The UI said additional details about an in-person celebration will be announced by March 19. 

Continuing to monitor self-reported COVID-19 cases on campus, the UI reported six new self-reported UI student cases and two employee cases since March 5. 

Across the state of Iowa, the Iowa Department of Health reported a 4.1 percent positivity rate in the last seven days. Johnson County has a 3 percent positivity rate in the past week, the Iowa Department of Health website said.