Iowa’s 165-pounder Alex Marinelli wins third consecutive Big Ten title

Marinelli defeated Ohio State’s No. 3 Ethan Smith for his third title.

Iowa%E2%80%99s+Alex+Marinelli+looks+for+an+opening+to+take+a+shot+against+Purdue%E2%80%99s+Gerrit+Nijenhuis+during+the+opening+session+of+the+Big+Ten+Wrestling+Tournament+at+the+Bryce+Jordan+Center+in+State+College%2C+PA+on+Saturday%2C+March+6%2C+2021.+Marinelli+won+the+match+by+major+decision.+The+Hawkeyes+ended+the+first+session+with+a+team+score+of+75.5%2C+putting+them+in+first+ahead+of+second+place%2C+Nebraska%2C+with+a+score+of+63.+

Ryan Adams

Iowa’s Alex Marinelli looks for an opening to take a shot against Purdue’s Gerrit Nijenhuis during the opening session of the Big Ten Wrestling Tournament at the Bryce Jordan Center in State College, PA on Saturday, March 6, 2021. Marinelli won the match by major decision. The Hawkeyes ended the first session with a team score of 75.5, putting them in first ahead of second place, Nebraska, with a score of 63.

Robert Read, Pregame Editor

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — For the third consecutive year, Alex Marinelli is the Big Ten Champion at 165 pounds.

“The Bull” defeated No. 3 Ethan Smith of Ohio State by 3-2 decision in the finals for his third title. Marinelli used a takedown in the second period to go on top.

The top-seed at 165 pounds is the 19th three-time Big Ten Champion in program history

Marinelli is Iowa’s third individual champion at the 2021 Big Ten Wrestling Championships so far, joining Spencer Lee (125 pounds) and Jaydin Eierman (141). Austin DeSanto (133) and Kaleb Young (157) finished in second place.

Michael Kemerer will wrestle in the 174-pound finals and three other Hawkeyes will complete in third-place matches this session.