Recap from State College: Iowa competes in Session 2 of the Big Ten Wrestling Championships

Eight Hawkeyes will wrestle in Saturday night’s semifinals, while two compete in the consolation bracket.

Iowa%E2%80%99s+Austin+Desanto+moves+into+a+fireman%E2%80%99s+on+Nebraska%E2%80%99s+Tucker+Sjomeling+during+the+opening+session+of+the+Big+Ten+Wrestling+Tournament+at+the+Bryce+Jordan+Center+in+State+College%2C+PA+on+Saturday%2C+March+6%2C+2021.+Desanto+won+the+match+by+decision+4-1.+The+Hawkeyes+ended+the+first+session+with+a+team+score+of+75.5%2C+putting+them+in+first+ahead+of+second+place%2C+Nebraska%2C+with+a+score+of+63.+

Ryan Adams

Iowa’s Austin Desanto moves into a fireman’s on Nebraska’s Tucker Sjomeling during the opening session of the Big Ten Wrestling Tournament at the Bryce Jordan Center in State College, PA on Saturday, March 6, 2021. Desanto won the match by decision 4-1. The Hawkeyes ended the first session with a team score of 75.5, putting them in first ahead of second place, Nebraska, with a score of 63.

Robert Read, Pregame Editor

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Eight Iowa wrestlers will compete in Saturday night’s semifinals of the 2021 Big Ten Wrestling Championships, while two other Hawkeyes compete in the consolation bracket.

The top-ranked Hawkeyes are currently in first place with 75.5 team points entering session two. The second session of the tournament is airing on the Big Ten Network.

Follow along throughout the session for updates. Here are Iowa’s results from session two:

Championship Bracket semifinals

125 — No. 1 Spencer Lee defeats No. 5 Rayvon Foley (Michigan State), Pin

Lee made quick work of Foley. Already up 4-0, Lee pinned his opponent 23 seconds into the match, tying Tony Cassioppi’s mark from the first round for the quickest at Big Tens in program history. Lee is back in the semifinals and will wrestle Sunday night looking to defend his conference title.

Lee will face Purdue’s No. 7 Devin Schroder in the finals, a rematch of last year’s final match at 125.

133 — No. 2 Austin DeSanto defeats No. 3 Lucas Byrd (Illinois), 5-4 decision

DeSanto led 2-1 early in the match, but it was all tied up at 4-4 in the third period. DeSanto appeared to be hampered by a hand injury while competing, but fought through it. In another low-scoring match (for DeSanto’s standards), he wrestled to the end for the victory.

DeSanto will face Penn State’s top-seeded Roman Bravo-Young in the finals.

141 — No. 1 Jaydin Eierman defeats No. 4 Chad Red (Nebraska), 7-1 decision

Make it three Hawkeyes in the finals.

Eierman notched a takedown in the first period and controlled the match from there. He scored two backs in the second and followed that with another takedown in the third. Add in riding time for the final score. Red never really threatened Eierman offensively.

Eierman outscored his opponents 21-3 on Saturday.

Eierman will face Penn State’s No. 2 Nick Lee in the finals.

157 — No. 2 Kaleb Young defeats No. 3 Brayton Lee (Minnesota), 3-2 decision

It took until the second tiebreaking period, but Young used an escape to tie the match at 2-2 and his riding time point pushed him into the finals at 157 pounds. Young will face Northwestern’s No. 1 Ryan Deakin.

165 — No. 1 Alex Marinelli defeats No. 4 Cameron Amine (Michigan), 2-0 decision

Marinelli is back in the finals, where he will compete for this third consecutive conference championship. This is the first of four straight Iowa matches that will feature a Michigan opponent.

After a scoreless first, Marinelli escaped in the third period and used the riding time he accumulated in the second period for another point to win the match.

174 — No. 1 Michael Kemerer defeats No. 4 Logan Messa (Michigan), 4-2 decision

A first-period takedown had Kemerer on top early. Riding time added to Kemerer’s total, and Kemerer made it tough on Messa to score any points. Kemerer is in the Big Ten finals for the third time in his career. He is going for his first conference title.

197 — No. 2 Myles Amine (Michigan) defeats No. 3 Jacob Warner, SV1, 3-1

Amine connected on a re-shot and covered Warner’s ankles for a takedown in sudden victory, advancing to the finals. Warner sprinted to the tunnel after the match and let out a yell in frustration. He falls to wrestlebacks.

285 — No. 2 Mason Paris (Michigan) defeats No. 3 Tony Cassioppi, Pin

Paris pinned Cassioppi in 57 seconds to advance to the heavyweight finals. Cassioppi falls to the wrestlebacks.

Iowa went 6-2 in the semifinals, sending six wrestlers to Sunday afternoon’s finals.

Wrestlebacks Round 2 

141 — No. 8 Mike Van Brill defeats No. 2 Max Murin, 7-2 decision

Murin couldn’t recover from being upset in the championship and fell in the consolation bracket to end his tournament. The match was tied 1-1 entering the third period. But Van Brill used a takedown and four back points to open up his lead and defeat Murin.

184 — No. 9 Nelson Brands defeats No. 10 Rocky Jordan (Ohio State), 5-2 decison

Brands bounced back from his loss in the championship bracket earlier by defeating Jordan in his first wrestleback match to jump into the top eight. Brands scored a takedown in the first and third periods to defeat Jordan. He will wrestle again later Saturday night.

Wrestlebacks Round 3

184 — No. 9 Nelson Brands defeats No. 4 Owen Webster (Minneosta), 3-2 decision

Brands’ hunt for third place is still alive. He used a third-period takedown to defeat Webster for another win in the consolation bracket. This win ensures that Brands will receive an invite to the NCAA Championships.

Iowa ends the first day of Big Tens going 19-5. Six Hawkeyes advanced to the finals and three are still alive in the consolation bracket. The team leads the field with 126.5 points. Penn State is in second place with 104.5 points.

This is a developing story. Check back for more updates throughout the day.